Hi, couple of months ago I became a mother. Everything has been going on just great both with me and my child. But now I am scared. The other day I felt a lump of some kind in my left breast. It is still present but at least it is quite small. My mother told me that I might have clogged milk gland. Could she be right?

Hi, it seams that your mother is right. However, it is not the gland that is clogged. A duct that leads from the milk gland to the nipple is the one that is clogged. This can happen if a child is rarely breast fed. Clogged milk duct can turn into an inflammation and even, if not treated, get infected. One of the methods used to treat this problem is the application of warm moist compresses to the clogged area just before feeding. The massage of the area while the baby is nursing might prove to be helpful. Also you should try to change positions in which you feed your baby. If you develop symptoms common to the flu it could mean that the infection is present. This condition is called mastitis. If this is to happen, pay a visit to the doctor. You will certainly be prescribed with some antibiotics to treat the infection.