Hi, I am about to become a mother in a few weeks time. I have prepared myself for this event and I can't wait for the day to come. There is one thing that is not quite clear to me. I have heard that there are different types of breast milk. However, I haven't understood if women produce various types of breast milk, or will I produce different types during the breastfeeding? Could you explain different types of breast milk?

Hi, it is great that you are so excited about the day you are going to give birth to your child. It is true that there are two types of breast milk. Every woman who breastfeeds her child produces both types of milk. First so called fore milk is produced and than the second type, which is known as hind milk. Those two types of milk contain different components. Fore milk is yellowish liquid rich in proteins that your baby needs. The hind milk follows the fore milk, has a higher concentration of fat and therefore gives your baby more energy. You should also know that no formula in the world could replace breast milk. Besides proteins, fat and carbohydrates your milk also contains vitamins and fortifies your baby's immune system. Formula doesn't have these ingredients and that is why breast milk should be your first choice for your baby's nutrition.