Hi, few months ago I delivered a baby. Now it seams that there might be something wrong with her. Whenever I breastfeed her, there are some "side affects". At first it was diarrhea but we didn't pay much attention to it. Recently she started to develop skin rash. This scares me very much. A friend of mine told me that she may have milk protein allergy. Is this true?

Hi, your friend could be right. Milk protein allergy is common mostly with cow milk. Proteins from cow milk are transferred to the baby trough breast milk. You must take your baby to the doctor to determine the facts. The symptoms you described, skin rash and diarrhea, consist with other allergies as well. That is why it is important to visit the doctor immediately. Also, if you try to take care of the problem on your own, even worse reaction may occur. One of them is anaphylaxis. However, do not despair. Milk protein allergy, or cow's milk allergy, is the most common among babies. The thing is that children outgrow it by the time they reach two or three years of age. Also, parents of children that have milk protein allergy, although there is no cure for this kind of condition, need not worry too much for it can be controlled trough a dairy free diet.