I have a bump on my upper lip. I had a cold sore last week and my lips have been extremely chapped. Right when my cold sore was gone I felt another bump coming. It at first looked just like a cold sore in the early stages but it just stopped in the process. It had the tiny bumps like a cold sore does but, since the bump has just remained looking like it's a cold sore waiting to happen, the tiny bumps don't appear puss filled. I have prescribed medicine (pills and ointment) for my cold sores that I was taking for this but then those tiny bumps I mentioned scabbed over so I stopped taking the medication so as to not waste it. Right now it just looks like elevated skin with tiny scabs but it also doesn't really seem to be getting better. The bump itself feels just like the rest of my lip which makes me worry it really won't go away. I'd think it was something left over from my last cold sore but it isn't in the same spot. Any idea what this may be?

Hi there! Once you've had an episode of herpes infection, the virus lies dormant in the nerve cells in your skin and may emerge again as an active infection at or near the original site. Though you can't cure or prevent cold sores, you can take steps to reduce their frequency and to limit the duration of an occurrence. Topical treatments that may help relieve your symptoms include Lidocaine (it may provide short-term pain relief) and Benzocaine ( it may protect cold sores from trauma and irritation). Over-the-counter ointments, such as topical lidocaine or benzocaine (Zilactin), can help ease discomfort. Try applying ice or warm compresses to the blisters to ease the pain. Avoid squeezing, pinching or picking at any blister. I hope this will help.