So I had a cold sore a few weeks back, the first in a few years. It was massive and gross. I used Lysine but it seemed to not help. I never intentionaly picked at it but there were a few times where my nail brushed off a part of the blister and it bled and hurt.

Anyways, the cold sore is gone now but my lip looks like it did not heal the little chunk missing that was scraped off my lip... its almost like a tiny patch and a line underneath... its odd.. and the skin is still more pinkish then the rest of my lip... im not sure what to do... Something about the look it has bothers me alot. It makes my lips look uneven and not symetrical and its scary. Ive always liked my lips, please help. :[

cold sores are facial herpes, the best thing you can do is consult the docter about it.

I am having the same problem. I may have taken the scab off a little early and now the skin hasn't looked healed for a month. I'm scared it will stay this way forever.

What happened with your scar? Did you find a treatment?

thrive 2009: i wonder if you'll ever check back here... now that another month has gone by, is your scar any better? i'm having the same issue. it's been a few weeks since my scab fell off (perhaps a little too early) and my lip is still pink and puffy. very worried that it won't get better :-(

Hey it's Thrive

My scar is still there. It's gotten a little better but I'm still searching for a solution. Kissing girls isn't the same. I still feel diseased from the cold sore :-(

Anybody got anything? I went to a dermatoligist and he basically said there's nothing I can do, apart from laser surgery which would probably make the situation worse.

I was just told it was scar tissue and the area was red because the tissue was traumatized. It may last a year, it may last forever :-(

I have the same problem!! This really stinks. Did it ever go away?!

same problem here. It is pretty frustrating that doctors keep saying "cold sores don't leave scars", then why is my lip still purple after more than a year from a cold sore? I don't what to do!

same problem i have had the problem for over 5 yrs now. i wonder if i could get plastic surgery for it. does anyone know if i doctor can perform this procedure?

It's Thrive again,

Lip hasn't really improved much in months. I'm afraid I'm stuck with this scar forever. It's taken a huge toll on my self-esteem and my life. Picking at that scab was one of the worst decisions of my life.

On the bright side, my immune system seems to be back on track. Haven't had a cold sore in 8 months, since the scar was left.

I can't believe this. I too have been dealing with this problem for over a year. I have two bluish/brown scars on my lower lip. I finally decided to see a dermatologist about it. First, they treated the areas with liquid nitrogen. They said the areas would scab over and when the scabs fell off, they would lift the scars.....DID NOT WORK. I went back to the dermatologist and they did a chemical peel with heavy concentration around the lower lip.....DID NOT WORK. Now I have a huge bluish/brown scar right under the left side of my lower lip that was left by the chemical peel. It's 10 times worse than the small scars I was dealing with before. Now, I'm going to see a laser and cosmetic doctor to see what she has to offer. Everyone is right; this is awful for one's self esteem and confidence. Basically, I have none now.

I had a giant cold sore about 2 weeks ago i'ts gone now but it has left a little dent/crater on my lower lip. I'ts like a little piece of my lip is missing! Does anyone know if it will heal back the way it used to be?

Iv had the same problem. i had a cold sore about just over a month ago, it was huge and i even took time off work because of it.
It took 3weeks to fully heal after the scab kept coming away before it was properly healed, i got left with a dent just below my lower lip, which is slowly filling out, but the thing that bothers me the most is that it is purple, and is quite visible and i really hate it, even trying to cover it with make up doesnt work. im a really self conscious person as it is, and this has made it 10 times worse.
I have been reading on the internet about Bio-Oil, has anyone tried it for coldsore scars because i was going to give it a go and wondered if anyone had had any good results?

Emily

has anyone tried L-lynsine for preventing cold sores? I take it regularly and it stops outbreaks or minimises the size of cold sore. i had a cold sore about 6 weeks ago. Scab came off early and now I'm left with slight pink scar in the middle above my lip. Don't know how to sort this although make up minimises the scar well.