Hi, about two or so years ago, I got my first cold sore, since then, I have had multiple cold sores in the same area...about eleven times actually this year. The first cold sore was in the left corner of my mouth, then it moved to the upper right corner of my mouth. In this spot I have had a cold sore numerous times. Over the course of last year until now, I have noticed a darkening color covering the corner of my mouth that has now covered my whole right top side of my lip. This dark color has even overpassed my lip and onto the skin above it. This black mark basically looks like a birthmark...or it can be referred to as my "black ink spot".

This spot is really embarrasing as I can't take pictures from my right side. In the picture it looks as if I have this "blob" on my mouth. Recently I haven't been getting any cold sores, but this spot still won't go away. I'm afraid that this mark will soon cover the entirety of my lips!! What is this and how can I make it go away or at least fade the mark???

-Distressed person.

Cold sores are a type herpes, so it is possible that heading to your doctor and getting a prescription for valtrex may help your problem with the cold sores since you have been getting them so frequently.

Did you in any way pick at any of your cold sores so that they would go away? This might be a cold sore or something else. Like I said, might be good to head to the doctor on this one.

Did you ever find a cure for the ink spot? I have this same issue, although I am on Valtrex I still broke out with a cold sore in the same area at least three times. It never had puss bumps that broke, just was swollen then a dark mark appeared and once healed it is still there. It is very embarrassing and I am still using all sorts of fade creams