I actually posted this in another forum, but I didn't receive any answers. I decided to post it on here because I saw a similar thread to this, but with no definite answers.

2 months ago, I had a pimple form above my lip (it was on the tip of my lip and on the skin). When I popped it, it busted and crusted over with a honey-colored scab. I went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist told me I had HPV-1. It really worried me so I went to a doctor who looked me over, and said it was only an infection. (I had seen the doctor 2 weeks prior because of an abscessed tooth I had)

He gave me some antibiotics and told me not to worry about it. The infection caused by my abscessed tooth seemed to be a good explanation, but it didn´t explain why I had a tingling sensation on my lip nor did it explain why the scab was yellow. However, upon doing research online, I discovered it could be impetigo, which also scabs over yellow and is an infection.

However, right now (and for the past three months off and on), my lip is tingling again and has been for a few days. This tingling sensation continues but I have yet to see anything new develop other than redness around the area where I had the infection. I also have a scar there from previously where I picked at it; it has been a few months and the area still looks more or less the same with the scab and the redness that is on the tip of my lip.

Is it a cold sore from my description? If I end up having it, I won´t be as worried about it anymore.. but I rather be using the right medication for my problem than by mixing it up to see if it helps the area any.

Can somebody have a cold sore with the constant tingling but no lesion or outbreak? After having the pimple (which I believe to be unrelated now), I have had the tingling in my lips... an almost constant tingling that stays for a matter of days, lasting at about 1 hour intervals every so often. I never have any break-outs though, only the tingling and red on the tip of my upper lip where I have the redness that has not disappeared.

By the way, I have tried to put stuff on my lip for the tingling sensation but to no prevail. My entire lip doesn't tingle, but it does at certain random spots. When I try to look closely at where the spots tingle, sometimes there are very tiny cuts, very tiny.

I have tried Lysine + (the chapstick), Campho Phenique, and also some antibacterial ointment given to me from a doctor in Spain which he told me to use to apply to my tooth and my lip. I also take 1000 mg of Lysine and 250 mcg of B12 (and I have been for a week now just in case it may end up being cold sores).

I'm sure it is impetigo. If it were a cold sore and you were pickign at it, it would have spread all over and you would have had a huge mess on your hands. Even with Impetigo, your lucky you haven't made it much worse than it is.

You need a topical antibiotic for impetigo, as it is a bacterial infection. Go see your doctor.

When you feel that tingling sensation you need to not touch it, and simply apply the antibiotic. If you can learn to apply the antibiotic immediately and necer touch the sore spot, you'll find you can heal your sore very quickly, and sometimes even prevent it from blistering.

Anyway don't freak out. Cold sores adn impetigo are not a big deal if you learn to deal with them properly. Stress causes them, so if your freaking out your going to cause skin infections.

I have to disagree with the first answer and say I'm sure it is a cold sore. Yes impetigo can look similiar to a cold sores....in fact...a cold sore that is picked at could turn into an impetigo infection.

The pimple that occurred before the scab is what causes me to believe this is a cold sore otherwise known as oral herpes (oral herpes can be caused be either hsv-1 or hsv-2, and the same goes for genital herpes).

Cold sore begin with the prodromal stage, tingling, pain, itchyness at the infection site. Then small blisters, sometimes just a small one or sometimes they form in clusters, which can sometimes look like tiny pimples form, these break on their own, or in your case you picked it, and then scab over. The scab will get smaller and smaller and heal but the herpes virus is still active at the infection site until all redness is gone- that includes any red spots where the scab was. Prodromal stage, which is the tingling you are experiencing, can continue while the virus is still active and really at any random time.

Abreva works pretty good, use it whenever you feel a tingling itch, it can stop new sores from forming dead in their tracks. I also recommend taking 500mg of lysine a day.

I'm no expert, but I agree with 'guest'.
Regarding Lysine. I read an article in new scientist (I think) that sighted research into Lysine. It said that Lysine is vastly more effective in doses above 1000mg per day. In some cases, doses less than 1000mg per day were not effective at all.
Cheers

I get tingling feelings in my lip when I eat clementines or other things that I am allergic to or have reactions to.

hello.  whatever happened manasol?  did it end up being herpes?  i am actually experiencing the same thing.  tingling burning lips but no sore.  i have had these sensations once last month for about 1 week and now again. 

Manasol and Lexi, 

I have the same thing.  Constant tingling and no cold sores.  Have either of you received any direction as to your contagious period.  I have a tingling episode around once a week so I'm not sure if I'm constantly contagious.   Any help, tips, anecdotes would be appreciated. 

Thanks

I have no answer for you. I came across your question because I have the same thing and have been looking for an answer. Never had a cold sore in my life but about three weeks ago my lip started tingling and itching. Swelled a little too. Everyone said I was getting a cold sore. Still no no sore but still same tingling. Wish I'd just get a cold sore and get it over with.

I have had the same tingling for a few weeks with no cold sore . would be interested if you have found out what it is .

does anyone smoke weed....

Lol, is that what causes the tingling?

I've had the same tingle that everyone is describing, but it has only lasted about 10 minutes, then nothing, this was about 20 minutes ago. I'm so afraid of getting cold sores, but I don't see how I could have been infected.
I always ensure I'm careful around people that have them ( like washing my hands), I have never kissed anyone who has has had the virus (visible signs or otherwise),
and I always make sure that I don't use any cutlery that I haven't cleaned myself.
I think it might be as simple as a hair caught on my face or even an infect hair follicle.

What ever it is I don't think its a cold sore.

p.s no one in my family has ever had a cold sore

If anyone knows what it could be please post :)

Although the tingling sensation sounds like a cold sore symptom, another symptom is very painful sores and blisters. Picking at it would be very uncomfortable and you aren't likely to do it.

Cold sores are a virus that live in the nerve. When they become active, they stimulate that nerve which causes the tingling sensation.

Unfortunately the cold sore virus is very easy to catch - actually most people have the virus already even when they don't show any symptoms. If you do have a cold sore and they are pretty easy to distinguish (tingling sensation followed by a patch of blisters, very painful, that eventually crusts over) make sure you try not to touch it and that you wash your hands regularly. This is not only just good hygiene, but you can spread the virus to your eyes. And that is very bad news.

I had a very similar thing happen to me. I woke up from a nap and my lip was all red and tingling. I thought for sure I was getting a cold sore even though I had never got one before. The next day the tingling was gone, but I noticed a very, very small cut in the location that was tingling the day before. The next day the cut was gone. The tingling hasn't come back, but I'm not 100% convinced that the cut wasn't the beginning of a cold sore that my body fought off.