Hello there everyone. I recently found this site and since that day I am reading it. I need to confess you that you have really amazing advice and I am sure that you were able to help a lot of people in here. So, I have a question for you and I hope that you can help me as well. I really want to know what do you know about aortic valve repair for aortic insufficiency? My ex - husband is having problem with it and I am trying to help him. But I don't know a lot about it. Thank you in advance. 

Good day there. I am sorry to hear this. You should know that aortic valve repair is nearly exclusively limited to patients with aortic regurgitation (AR) without a component of stenosis. So, he needs to seek for medical attention, if he didn’t already. Patients considered for repair are generally young who wish to avoid anticoagulation and would be expected to outlive a tissue valve should replacement be considered. Most of the repairs usually result in downsizing the effective orifice area in order to increase coaptation with the available cusp area. Also, there is always a risk if you want to repair it so you should talk to him or his doctor about possible risks.

Hi Guest,

This is a pretty common procedure to be done to people whose aortic valve does not close all the way so blood leaks back into the heart, this is called aortic regurgitation, and to people whose aortic valve does not open fully so blood flow out of the heart is reduced, this is called aortic stenosis.

It is a painless procedure. Before the surgery, your ex is going to receive general anesthesia so he will be asleep during the whole procedure, therefore, he won't feel any pain. This is a minimally invasive aortic valve surgery so he will have no big scars whatsoever.

Hey guys,

Well, this is usually a surgery done to younger people who don't want to have problems with their heart valves in the future (which are, of course, already damaged). It is a quite safe procedure and it has extremely high odds for success. 

There are, however, some risks that go along with any anesthesia so those are not worth mentioning. There are some other risks which are usually connected to one's age. The older you are, the more dangerous the procedure is for you. These risks include damage to other organs, heart attack, stroke, or death, kidney failure, infection of the new valve, etc.

Adria is right, the older the person is, the more dangerous the procedure is, it all comes to how old your ex husband is, Guest.

After the procedure, your ex will have to stay in the hospital for about a week or so. The most important thing is for him to be patient when he gets back home. Recovery isn't easy and he will really need a lot of patience with himself. If you two are in good relations, I would recommend that you be there for him during the recovery period, if he doesn't have anyone else to look after him.

Good day everyone. First, I would like to thank you. I didn't know that this issue can be and is so dangerous. But I now see that older people are more likely to get it. The problem is because my ex - husband is not that old. Does that plays a big role? I am surprised because he got sick because he was always careful about his health, he was always playing sports and I always believed that there is not any disease that can affect him. But guess that I was wrong. Is this treatable and is it dangerous? Thank you so much.

Hello there. It is nice because you two are in so good relationship even after the divorce. And I really do support the idea of helping him. Go for it. It is a good thing that this is not that dangerous and that it can be maintained and healed as well. It is not that dangerous and this valve repair is something that doctors do it very easily. Of course, doctor will give anesthesia to him before he or she starts with the surgery. The recovery process is also pretty fast so there is no reason for panic. 

Good day friends.

It is safe procedure and you should not be worried at all. I don’t know how much you communicate with your ex – husband since you haven’t told us, but if you really want to help him ask him how does he feel. Does he have any symptoms, does he feel some changes in his life, etc.

For the treatment of Aortic Valve Disease it is usually prescribed Stenosis and Regurgitation. Aortic valve surgery is performed by heart surgeons to treat most commonly bicuspid valves,other congenital aortic valve disease, aortic valve stenosis and aortic valve regurgitation. Good luck.