Hi everybody. I am a 29 years old woman. For the past several years I have had numbness in my upper thighs. This only occurs when I am laying flat on my back (or my stomach) or simply standing in the same position too long. Also, few months ago I had severe pains in my back which doctors said was in the joints and muscles and after several months of physical therapy the pain got better and the numbness got less severe. I also have a history of severe pelvic pain but with no explanation for. I recently went to a orthopedic doctor for the numbness. He did a reflex test and said my left leg was hyperactive so that my symptoms were not from a back problem. He also mentioned the possibility of fibromylagia. I also have to add that I have severe pain in my hips – so severe that sometimes it wakes me up at night. I had 2 MRIs on my lumbar and thorasic spine for this, but they didn't show any nerve compression. Any comments??? Could stress be a factor?

Well, reflexes can be a useful tool to determine whether there may be damage to particular parts of the nervous system but the results of any examination have to be taken in context. Taken out of context, you can't learn anything from them. I am confident that an orthopedic specialist can interpret reflexes to aid in the diagnosis of pinched nerves, but not necessarily in all other. So, for a full interpretation you have to see a neurologist. The symptoms you mention are not suggestive of MS, but, again, if you need reassurance about this, see a neurologist. Stress could also be the factor, but I don’t think that stress only is the cause for all that.