After quite some time of unbearable pain in the neck and shoulders, Mri and Ct scans I was finally diagnosed with thorasic outlet syndrome. The pain was not surprising as I was spending 10 hours/day at the computer but I got really scared when the weakness in my arms and hands started. There were times when I couldn’t type at all. Anyway, I am about to start physical therapy sessions and I was wondering what is the possibility of treating this disease.

Hello! Two years ago I was diagnosed with the thorasic outlet syndrome. I had the same symptoms you did. I went to physical therapy but that didn’t help much. You see, conservative treatments consist of physical therapy, postural training, muscle strengthening exercises, and heat treatments with ultrasound. Drugs are also used in order to relief pain (don’t use vicodins) and muscle spasms. It is said that only small number of patients require surgery, but I must be one of them as I got no relief from the conventional methods.

I had a car accident in 04 and surgery - dbl distectomy and fusinon of c 4 c5 and c5 c6. I only had headaches after car accient and some numbness. But after surgery I had increased headaches and pain and numbness is new areas. I have been on many pain meds. The surgeon never looked at my MRI and xrays if he had he would have seen two extra ribs.
I need a neuro sergeon in NY area to help me with a law suit. I have been told by doctors that the surgery had caused the thorasic outlet and that if I had seen them first they would not have opened me up Is there anyone out there with simular problems or can you help me. My quaility of life is is nile. I am so exhausted, and just about given up hope. :'(

Hello, I'm Kya Hill and I am doing a school reseaech project on Thorasic Outlet Syndrome, I was wondering if you people have a distric office or somthing that would be able to communicate with my teacher, class, and I.

It would really be great if you could do that for me. I'm in seventh grade and you can email me at **** to let me know if my request is possible.

-Kya Hill

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Dear "Guest in car accident", You need the attorney first, they will then get the neuro-surgeon and all the rest. I also have TOS. Sounds like you have more going on but try to get off the pain meds because they can actually CAUSE pain. When you're on them too long all your symptoms get muddled...like you have muddied the waters. An occupational therapist can teach you certain stretches you can do to help open the thorasic area, join a gym with a therapeudic warm pool with physical therapists to help you get moving around and see the best massage therapist (I mean someone who knows more than just feel good massages) you can find at least a couple times a week to start. Then go see a doctor in a leading TEACHING HOSPITAL, like Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. Good luck and do all this before choosing surgery.

I am a senior in high school, and I was told that I had Thoracic outlet syndrome. I'm not sure how it started, but I do know that it began at the regionals cross country race two years ago ( I am a distance runner), because my arms felt like they were on fire, and I couldn't grip and tear my paper tag off to give to the lady at the end of the chute...

I went to physical therapy, but, it did very little, only postponing the onset of the symptoms by about fifteen seconds, after 3-4 months of treatment. However, it has steadily worsened, so that now every race, every practice, even running only a 200m, is excruciatingly painful. Also, my shoulders and collarbone have begun to pop out of place at random times, especially when IO am trying to shake some feeling back into my arms after running...Is this normal? Has anyone even heard of this happening? This has been going on for two and a half years, and it's frustrating, because I used to be a really good runner, but now thios is really holding me back....what should I do????

I'm 42 yrs old. I was told I had thorasic outlet syndrome when I was 20 and they didn't know much about it then. My arms would go numb and tingle sometimes burn. then my hands would turn blue and no pulse. I'd drop things all the time. I had headaches all the time. I'd lose my vision. But none of this would happen when I was a the doctors office of course. Sometimes it went numb just down the inside of my arm and to every finger but the middle one. Also I could hear blood pulse in the ear on that side. Which was consriction of the blood vessels. Years later and many wrong surgeries later they said I had 2 extra ribs. One on each side. They did different things. Wrong things.. but finally one doctor said there's specialist for this and the best is in Denver Col. And I live in Texas. I went to him in 2004. And it was amazing to find out I wasn't alone or crazy. I'll gladly talk to you about this. But I'm out of room here. My address is _[removed]_
It wasn't fun but there is help. And others that understand. Hope I can help.With any questions

Hi, I had surgery for this in Oct. of last year as I had your symtoms and no pulse when my arm was lifted, I had my top rib removed and they have to cut alot of muscle ond nerves to get to it and then reconnect them, It has been a ..........Journey, at the very least. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help if I can.... Take care

Hi, I tried all the therapy which you should do, but, I thought I was better and when I went back to work it all came back even worse after a couple of days. I had the surgery last Oct. and it has been a ....hmmm....lets say journey. I wish you well and if you have any questions I can help with feel free to ask!

I have TOS. I have had an op to remove rib 2 years ago, it helped for a short while now its back, I have a hard time driving, and doing everyday things, has anyone got any ideas?
I now feel this arm of mine does not belong to me and carring it around seems false.
My shoulder feels like its stuck to my body.

I am a go getting person who gets on with things, and dont like to complain, I will do anything it takes to move on.
I wonder if any one else has got to this.

I am going to have this exact surgery on Monday. Did they cut through your armpit? I'm quite nervous, but ready for the relief of pain!

I was finally diagnosed with TOS w/a comprehensive MRI, by a doctor and creator of the MRI this year. I have two worker compensation cases and I have a wonderful attorney working w/me on this. I have spent the last four years in severe pain and have tried all the conventional ways to improve the pain. However, I would like to say that since I started seeing a pain management doctor and taking fentanyl patches, my arm and shoulder do not feel like its going to fall off. However, I still can't open a bag of chips quite well since I have lost so much strength. So, I do recommend a pain management doctor because its making a world of difference for me.

37 yr old female. I have been experiencing pain in my right arm for about 8 years. I have had two surgeries at c5-6. one in 2005 and recently 7-2007, with no relief. The last surgeon prescribed PT. on the first day of treatment the PT noticed the drop of the shoulder and the winging of the scapula, and immediately tested for TOS. The test was pos. i went to PT for a month 3x a week. with each visit it increasingly hurt worse. i called my dr. office and left msg r/t what the PT said about TOS,and the increased pain. finally the pain was so intense my husband made me move up the post op visit with the doctor. When i gave the doctor a list of recurring symtoms and asked him if this TOS could be causing all this pain. He totally dismissed it. He wrote me a rx for an NSAID. i have to admit it feels better, but it is only masking the symptoms b/c my hand still turns blue and goes numb etc.... I've been to three surgeons and not one of them has yet to perform a physical exam. So, I'm at a loss. I have not returned to work yet. I'm afraid, that im going to be on pain pills, muscle relaxants and newly acquired NSAIDS, for the rest of my life. Could use some advise. sincerely teresa , texas

My question to all of you with these symptoms of TOS is are you large chested? I have all the same symptoms you do and I am a small person wearing a size D cup bra. I have heard that too large of breasts can lead to TOS. I have heard that a breast reduction surgery will relieve TOS. Is this a fact, or a myth. I would reduce if I could get a doctor to agree that is why I have theses symptoms. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

This is all very fascinating to me. I live in Canada and was diagnosed with TOS just recently after being injured at work. TOS is in simple form the compressing of nerves, etc which travel through the thoracic bone which runs along the shoulder. From what my dr.'s here in canada tell me there is no cure for TOS, surgery can lessen the symptons for some but in many cases it comes back. I have been in physiotherapy for 2 yrs, trying to strengthen my muscles and correct posture which can led to the irritation of the condition and have seen many of the best dr.'s and had every sort of test done. But the truth of the matter seems to be that any action above the shoulder or resualting in an unnatural arm position or stretching of the shoulder will bring on numbness in the hand, arm and affect the neck area. I am very surprised to hear the stories of ribs being removed etc., this has never been presented to me as an option nor do I believe I would take it as the problem lies with the thoracic bone, which cannot be removed. Though I see how the first rib provides pressure, I would urge all to get very thorough diagnosis and explanations from your doctors before taking any serious treatment steps. My doctor has shown me pictures, medical journals and given me copies of all my test resaults, you have every right to be extremely involved in your rehabiltation. Ask your doctors about accupressure, because I was injured at work compensation paid for my machine, I use it to ease the symptons at home or at work. This condition saddens me as I have children and it is hard to accept that you may never do the things you used to do so well, though I will prob never accept this to be true myself, I feel better knowing I am not alone, though I also wish none of us this pai.