Hi, I'm 14 and I have a question about pubic hair. I've been shaving my pubic hair for close to a year, my older sister does the same along with many of my friends. The other day my mother saw me in the bathroom in just a g-sting and as the front panel was rather see through she could see that I had no pubic hair, she asked if I was shaving down there and I replied that I didn't like pubic hair and I liked it smooth, so, yes I'm shaving, long story short, she was horrified and we had a big bust up over it, I told her that most of my friends did it these days and it was no big deal, but she can't get her head round it, I also told her about her other daughter (my sister) shaving, but she said she was much older and could do as she felt was right, so I gathered from that, that this is all about age and she thinks I'm to young to shave my pubic hair.

My question is.... is she right ?, am I to young to shave down there ?, is there a right age as to when to start shaving down there ?, please let me know what you think or even if you do it yourself, maybe I should change my style and have some on top and shave underneath, but to be truthful, as I've said, I just don't like pubic hair.   Comments please.

That seems to be generational thing. It appears to be very popular with younger people and it horrifies older people. My wife refuses to shave. When she came home after our first baby I found her smoothness to be a huge turn-on which she liked. I even took on the roll of shaver for her because that turned me on too. She had no problems with the effects of shaving except in her head. She stopped it after a few weeks and I could not talk her into doing it even if I did it for her. She said it made her feel like a little girl so of course I asked if shaving her pits did too but she ignored that question.

I feel it should be a personal choice no matter your age. It certainly does not hurt anything and if you like it you should be allowed to do it. But she does have legal control over you until you are 18 so if you are smart you will try to work out a compromise. Maybe leaving a little in a spot where it doesn't bother you too much or where it will satisfy her and take her attention away form the whole shaving thing.

About the age thing. I think if you are going to shave you should start as soon as you begin to have any hair that you want to get rid of. Waiting until it's fully grown would seem to create those itchy scratchy problems people have while starting when it's just fuzzy should eliminate that. Do boys wait until they have a full beard? I don't think so, I didn't. Maybe you can use the "boys beard argument" but don't push it.

I sympathize with you because I think it should be up to you.

Hi Lucie, I also shaved on and off from about 13 to 16 but from then on I've been smooth, Like you, I'm not that keen on pubic hair, even my boyfriend shaves. There are no rules about what is the right age to shaving yourself or that you are too young to start doing it, I started young and it did me no harm and they'll always grow back, as sure as the sun comes up every day, personally I think your mother over reacted and as you said, it's no big deal, most girls seem to do pubic styling in one form or another these days. One thing my mother never let me wear though were g-strings at 14, so I think your mother isn't all bad

There is no age set in stone to start shaving your pubic hair.I would ask your mom if she ever tried shaving.