Hi, my six years old daughter suffers occasionally from conjunctivitis. Because of the infection she is very sad when she wakes up. She can not open her eyes and that makes her nervous. I do my best to take her mind of the problem, but she is feeling so much pain that there is nothing I can do. How can I stop this infection from reoccurring?

Hi, conjunctivitis can be a consequence of a viral or a bacterial infection. The symptoms your daughter is experiencing are consistent with the bacterial infection. This can be a serious condition if not treated. The reason that your daughter has recurrent infection might be the fact that the infection was never completely cured. You should take your daughter to see the doctor the next time the eye infection occurs. He will determine the bacteria that caused the infection and prescribe the antibacterial ointment or eye drops. Be persistent in applying the therapy because if conjunctivitis infection is not treated properly, it can spread onto other organs and cause the systematic infection.