Hello! My son had conjunctivitis six months ago. Since his both eyes were red I took him to see his doctor and he prescribed antibiotic eye drops. His eyes were well really soon. Yesterday I took him to his doctor again since the same symptoms occurred but this time his doctor didn’t prescribe anything. He said that this time it was viral. How can you make a difference between viral and bacterial conjunctivitis?

Hello! Your doctor is probably experienced and he can make a difference between viral and bacterial conjunctivitis easy. Conjunctivitis involves inflammation of the clear membrane covering the white part of the eye. Viral conjunctivitis usually affects only one eye and causes excessive eye watering, red eye and a light discharge or no discharge at all. Bacterial conjunctivitis affects both eyes and causes heavy discharge, which sometimes appears to be greenish.