I would like to know if anybody else has ever had this problem and if yes I really want to know what exactly causes this...

I first started drinking alcohol about five years ago. I only drink maybe two nights in one month, mainly on special occasions or just to go and catch up with my friends and have a drink. I have always suffered a typical hangover... headaches, dehydrated etc. But the last few months if I go out and drink alcohol the following night (24 hours later) my body head to toe feels severely bruised and so tender to touch to the point where I can't even move. I have never come across this before so if anyone may be able to reply to this I would be grateful.

Thank you

I experienced this for the first time today - the same scenario. I went out one night, and had a bit to drink. The next night I had a bruised feeling - it started on my chest and torso, and then my neck.

Do you have any information on this?

Did anyone ever get an answer on this? I've started feeling this way after having more than a couple of drinks. The next morning I wake up and my arms and legs feel bruised whenever I touch them. It's such a strange sensation and my friends don't seem to have any idea what I'm talking about. Could this be a result of dehydration? What gives? An internet search hasn't gotten me anywhere...

I can tell you more about this weird feeling and also I can speak about chest pain after drinking alcohol. It becomes something that I am dealing with all the time, so I have decided that it is time for me to stop drinking alcohol. Generally, it is very easy to understand this issue since a alcohol can play a role in interfering with the breakdown of lactic acid and that is why all of this happens. Because, in that case, your muscles to increase in soreness after physical activity. I think that you already do know how alcohol can impact amino acids - it is destroying them and your body needs energy that alcohol destroys. That is why you feel week. 

I have also had this the past couple of days. Mine hasn't been a result of drinking though. It kind of came out of nowhere. Although, I may be seeing a link. While drinking alcohol, our blood becomes thinner and the walls of our veins can also become thinner. I have vascular issues and bruise easily and I also take medications that make my blood thinner, not for that purpose but as a side effect. Anyway, maybe it has something to do with the blood vessels. I mean, that's basically what a bruise is right? So maybe we are suffering from inflamed blood vessels...they haven't broken so there are no bruises but they are inflamed. And maybe that is what is causing the pain? We could really use an answer on this.
I have never experienced anything like it before. It started in my chest area then went up into my neck then down into my thighs. Its gone in my neck now but still in my torso and thighs. It's very uncomfortable and it even hurts to wash in the shower. I hope it goes away soon.

I too have this bruising feeling around my torso... I just found out I am pregnant and thought maybe it had something to do with that... ummm, I'll have to do more research.

I got my answer from a Dr. This is what he told me.. I find it very interesting

Dear Trixey24

Thanks for your reply.

As you are from mixed decent- Japanese-Hawaiian. It has been found that 50% of the Pacific Rim Asian population (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans) possess an atypical alcohol dehydrogenate (ADH) known as ADH2*2 that leads to rapid conversion of ethanol to acetaldehyde. Since acetaldehyde is more toxic than alcohol, its increased accumulation causes flushing in the human body.

The first step toward metabolizing alcohol is to convert it to acetaldehyde. Approximately half of people of Asian descent are considered to be sensitive to alcohol due to this condition. Flushing, after consuming one or two alcoholic beverages, includes a range of symptoms: dizziness, nausea, headaches, an increased pulse, occasional extreme drowsiness, and occasional skin swelling and itchiness. These unpleasant side effects often prevent further drinking that may lead to further inebriation, but the symptoms can lead to misassumption that the people affected are more easily inebriated than others.

This causes a reaction where the body cannot break down ingested alcohol completely, due to a missense polymorphism that encodes the enzyme, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), normally responsible for breaking down acetaldehyde, a product of the metabolism of alcohol. Flushing, or blushing, is associated with the erythema (reddening caused by dilation of capillaries) of the face, neck, and shoulder, after consumption of alcohol.

. Much anecdotal evidence suggests that consumption of heartburn medicine containing ranitidine or famotidine (such as Zantac® or Pepcid AC®) may be able to reduce the symptoms if taken an hour before drinking.

Hope that helps

I too get this following a night out drinking. I feel fine a bit tired maybe the morning after but by the following evening i have severe body aches as if i have been kicked all over. My chest and collar bone are particularly sensitive to touch but it also affects my back and even lying in bed is uncomfortable. It can continue for the following 24 hours.

I thought I was the only person who got this everyone thinks I'm mad but it is awful like I'm coming down with flu. I've been worrying that I've got some form of liver damage but my Dr carried out some liver function tests and everything was normal. They did not seem concerned but its really worrying me. I would not class myself as a big drinker but it really puts me off drinking and having a good time with my friends because I know the next couple of days will be unbearable. I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions as to what causes this.

I too get this feeling however it usually starts with the first drink, usually about 1oz, so I throw my drink away. I drink occasionally, and I am not Asian. The feeling I get is more like a poison running through my veins usually start around the shoulder area then crawls down my arm and then the other arm then down one leg and then the other. It hurts and feels very uncomfortable. Tonight was the most recent episode and It was different this time I also had numbness and tingleing on my head forehead and down the sides of my face and I felt like vomiting. Usually goes away in about 15-30 minutes. I need to do some research I will let you all know if I come up with anything.

i am male 24 years of age and recentley since the summer has started i have been drinking alot more ... mostley lager and but other spirits as well .. and i have had pains on my thighs at the top of my leg and also on my breast area which asre sore to touch. there are no signs of brusing or anything .. i did hear somthing about it being related to Dehydration but dont quote me on that. but yeah these are happening to me as wel but i usaly drink avery weekend and these have ony happend recently cause i had been drinking alot more due to the summer.

I get this body bruising thing too. I went to a doctor about it and he diagnosed something called 'alcoholic myopathy'. Myopathy crudely meaning muscle wastage/disease.

It does have something to do with your ability to metabolise alcohol as a previous post says. Basically what's happening is that when you drink quite a lot, your body finds it difficult to metabolise the alcohol. In the mean time the alcohol attackes your muscles which is what causes the bruised feeling. Appartently it's more common in young men than in women and of course alcoholics get it too. If you don't drink regularly it's just a temporary thing and if you are young and/or healthy enough your muscles heal after your body metabolises the alcohol. The scary thing about it though is that the alcohol attackes all the muscles in the body including the most important muscle of all, the heart. I now drink a heck of a lot less and try to drink large amounts of water when I do consume alcohol to help my body metabolise it quicker and of course avoid the inevitable dehydration that alcohol consumption causes. It doesn't totally stop the temporary myopathy from occuring but it does make it less severe.

Hope this helps

I've been experiencing the bruised feeling after drinking for about 5/6 six years now. I've tried to research it online and see a doctor but to know avail. It seems some alcohols-beer esp. are far worse than others. However I figured out if I take benadryl while drinking it combats the side effects the next day. But I'm sure it's not healthy. Am I simply allergic to alcohol or is it that my body simply cannot metabolize it? What is it about my body that makes this so? and why beer more than liquor? and am I severly harming myself by cont. to drink?

I get the exact same thing, but only with wine. Benadryl the next day seems to help. Research has lead me to "alcoholic myopathy." I think it is harming you (and me) to drink.

i recenty went on holiday and after the second day my whole body swelled up a dress size or more, my body hurt if i even stroked my arm or any part of my self, when i returned home i went to the doctors, he said it was prickely heat, and next time i go on holls i have to have a teroid injection to help the swelling.
i think you are all right as i went out last night and now my body has swelled and feels bruised again. does this mean im halming myself and i shouldnt drink anymore???????, im now quite worried of wot ive read in your posts,
i would be gratefull for any advise

I too experience this and had not had any luck finding an answer. Everytime I find a possible answer- for instance alcohol induced myopathy- I do more research and nope, not even close to what I experience. It's always on my sides, especially on my ribs and all around my neck and collar bone. There's no discoloration or swelling of the skin, but when touched it's very sore and feels bruised. It's so weird. And kind of scary since no one i personally know ever experiences it.