Hi, doctor diagnosed me with random heart palpitations. I know that it’s about my heart, but I would appreciate if you would tell me something more about it. How can I treat this condition?

Hi, I went to doctor few months ago about racing heart sensations. He examined me and diagnosed with heart palpitations. Sometimes I feel like my heart is going to jump out, and it is a very unpleasant sensation. I feel heart palpitations usually in my chest, but sometimes in my throat too. Doctor told me that I have to reduce stress and anxiety if I want to get better. He said that those things trigger heart palpitations or make them worse. Also is very important what you eat, and that should be low-fat, well-balanced diet with lot of fiber and vitamins. I keep record of how palpitations appear, how long they last and when they happen.

It seems that almost everyone experiences palpitations from time to time. And odd palpitation here and there is inevitable - I get them too. But if you find that there are certain times where you experience more palpitions than normal - especially if you feel more than one every half hour, then there are a couple of things you can do about it.

Palpitations aren't so much dangerous as they are annoying. However, if frequent, they may be an indicator that certain steps should be taken towards a more healthy lifestyle.

Even if you have a condition known as "mitral valve prolapse", where one of your valves doesnt close all the way, leading to a palpitation, these following tips seem to lesson the symptoms:

1. Avoid caffeine (no coffee, no chocolate, as these can trigger waves of palpitiations). Annoying, and unusually abundant bed-time palpitations are usually the consequence of one can of cola too many...

2. When feeling stressed out, dip your hands in warm water, and pretend you are at the beach.

3. Get adequate sleep - dont stay up too late reading or watching tv if it means you get less than 7 hours sleep.

4. Eat plenty of fruit, especially red fruit and oranges. Cut down on sugar-loaded or processed foods. You'll feel better too :-D .

5. Get some exercise. Now, I dont mean kill yourself doing tedious routines. I mean, when you feel overwhelmed, go for a nice, brisk walk. Not only does it relieve stress but it ensures you arent living a completely sedentary lifestyle.

If you at least try to implement two of these strategies, I can guarantee you that in the long run you'll feel much better.

I've evaluated them myself ;-) .

I had palpitations in July last year and feeling again now since last one week. This time I had undergone all important tests done including EchoCardioGraphy and 24-hour Holter monitor but nothing substantial came out in reports so my cardiologist prescribed me simply a beta-blocker in low dose. In my case it has been proved that palpitations has no medical reason because heart is absolutely normal. Probably anxiety is playing a crucial role here because I usually take stress too much on myself which I am learning to avoid now. But yes these palpitations are certainly annoying as all attention is diverted to them whatever you are doing when they occur. The simple remedy in such cases is to relax, enjoy life and take control of your diet.

I get palpitations as well, randomly every couple of months one will come on and last about 5 minutes. Would this be considered frequent or not? and is this a medical issue that I should be concerned about?

Im 19 and having been getting them very constant for the last few days. Ive also been highly stressed the last few days so I am almost sure that is the cause. Plus I have been gaining weight. So its back to the gym...to help relieve the stress and slim down. Of course portion control is in the works! I hope this works because I hate going to the doctor!

Take aloe gel tabs. You can get them from wal-mart in the vita. aisle. I had horrible, persistent palpitations for about 2 years, then I read on the Irish helath site about aloe. I took it and my palps stopped almost completely.

i get heart palpitations too only my body gets this sensation of being really warm and i get sweety palms and my feet sweet really bad...i had to where a 24 hour heart monitor and they had to look at my heart and all that great stuff just to tell me nothing was wrong.....that scared me cuz i feel like the doctors dont know whats causing it....well anyways i got put on some beta-blockers and when ever i have an episode they help slow my heart down but i still get the adrelnaline rushing warm feeling threw my body....so i made an appointment with a doctor and she told me it was def anxiety and she put me on some hard core anxiety medicen and then put me on somthing no so hard core that will take a month to work....the hard core one is klonipen ive been taking it twice a day and i am still getting these heart palpitations and its really scary...one day i had this rummbling in my ear and it wouldnt stop and then i got the adrenaline rush fast and hard beating heart and it was so scary my boyfriend even got freaked out by that episode now everytime i have one i can see the scared look on his face.....and im 18 and im scared to death by these episodes.....what are they do you think that its even anxiety or is somthing ealse going on that the doctors are missing???? PLEASE HELP ME IM REALLY SCARED............PLease reply i will really like to know your look on this.......

I find your symptoms similar to mine. I am also 18 and I have been having heart palpitations for years now. I am scared to tell anyone but I do visit a cardiologist once a year. I am obviously no doctor but do you feel like anxiety/stress plays a big role in your life? I am also curious as to what you are feeling when you say you get this "adrenaline warm feeling." I sometimes get a warm feeling in my body as well but it almost feels like it is numbing. I don't know if it is the same thing or not. I also read that palpitations do occur in normal hearts. I feel like you will be okay and just keep getting check-ups with your doctor.

please try the Gupta Amygdala reprogramming dvd and book, I have chronic fatigue, and suffer with heart racing and adrenaline rushes, but this has really started to help me understand why the Amygdala causes us to have these awful symptoms. If all tests are clear like mine, then although i hated to admit it, i was severely anxious for months before they happenned and had a lot of trauma, all what leads the amygdala to kick in the fight or flight pattern. Google Ashok Gupta and the amygdala reprogrammming.

It is helping me, i have bad days, but it is starting to help, I have been taking low dose of diazapam when i needed to..hope this helps.

hi,, ive had those same symptoms since i was 30 and now im 47,, i had every test under the sun,, sometimes just doing those series of test provides you with the comfort of knowing
that your palpations are nothing dangerous but super annoying..for a while i would do a yearly heart work up just for confidense which helped me.. iv treated with betablockers and anti anxiety meds.. dont be affraid to try these.they are to help.. and they do ..ive been fine with no meds for 3 years but just recently the palps started really bad,and i did my heart work up with the dr. just for assurance and requested to go back on the betablocker and ant anxiety meds.. why suffer...ps talking about it also helps alot your nt alone..its a hard world we live in..

Magnesium pills.....I had the same problem.....after many trips to the doctor and coming up short......I did research and found the symptoms of this could be linked to low magnesium in the body....look up the conditions so you will understand.......Hope this helps everyone....

:'(Hello. I am 17 years old and I've been having heart-palpatations for over 3 years. I stopped having any caffeine for a couple months,no chocolate and no fried or fatty foods. But I'm still having them accur almost everyday. I went to the Doctor not too long ago,but they didn't help me none. I don't know what to do,I'm tired of this. It scares the hell outta me and I'm just tired of it. Right when I have one,I go into the bathroom and soak my face with very cold water-it helps,but doesn't stop it for good. I really need help...please,can someone help me? Thank you...

Try deep breathing, i have had them for years too, lately for the last three months daily for an hour at a time. Take vitamins and reduce salt intake. God Bless you and may he heal all of us.

I have had almost constant, sometimes scary heart palps for about a year.  All kinds of tests...all negative.  I read on a holistic med site that B-12 deficiency can cause palps AND if you are on meds for acid reflux or heartburn, they can deplete your B-12.

I tried a good quality B-12 supplement (the kind that dissolve under your tongue are best) and within a week, huge difference.

Try B-12.

D