Hey everyone,

I heard about these things called heart palpitations today in the hospital. I donate blood once in every four months because I have a very rare blood type, plus it is healthy to give blood from time to time so it's a win for both sides. Anyway, this nurse that was there was talking to another nurse about her having heart palpitations and how she would have prevented it from happening if she only knew how to do it before it happened to her.

I'm curious to know now: what are these heart palpitations and how could one prevent them?

Hi Health n joy,

Heart palpitations are a feeling that your heart is beating too hard or too fast, skipping a beat or fluttering. These can be noticed in your chest, throat, or neck. 

Heart palpitations are very bothersome and can be frightening. In most cases, these aren't serious or harmful, and often go away on their own. Most of the time, they are related to stress and anxiety or to consumption of stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine, or alcohol. Palpitations also often occur during pregnancy.

In very rare cases, palpitations can be a sign of a more serious heart condition.

Hi Health n Joy,

You can't really prevent heart palpitations but you can try to avoid the things which trigger them. This means to avoid stress and anxiety as they are the most common cause of heart palpitations. Relaxation exercises such as yoga or tai chi may help you relax.

You should also avoid or limit stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine and alcohol, the things that Stradivarius already mentioned above. You should avoid illegal drugs such as cocaine and amphetamines.

It is advised that you avoid medicines that act like stimulants, such as cough and cold medicines and some herbal and nutritional supplements.

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies, Stradivarius and Adria. People are globally in a lot of stress so I'm guessing that this condition is actually wide spread. 

I'm wondering if there is a chance for this to be a life threatening condition? And since you wrote that there are different types of heart palpitations, could someone tell me which these are, I'm just curious to know, I hope that you don't mind. If someone gets stuck with this condition and doesn't prevent it on time, how is this treated then? Do people use medicines or is there a way in which they could treat it naturally?

Hello everyone.

It is very simple – heart palpitations are the feelings or having rapid or pounding heart.  They usually are triggered by exercises, some medications, stress and they can be triggered by a medical condition.

Heart palpitations can be worrisome and they are usually harmless. But in some other cases they can be dangerous and they can cause more serious heart condition. Some of them can require the treatment.

I am not so sure is there any way to prevent them, but you can ask someone who had experience with it to tell you more.

I don’t know and I would like to help you.

Hello everyone.

Sure that there are a few things that you NEED and that you CAN do to prevent heart palpitations. For example, do not ever use any illegal street drugs. Avoid them completely. I am sure that you do know about what drugs am I talking about. Also, it is a good idea to avoid caffeine, alcohol and even the tobacco.

If  you are taking any other medicines or some herbal supplements, your doctor needs to know about them. Whenever you notice that something is different with your palpitations, you should write it down at some paper and go with this information to your doctor.

Good luck.

Hey there.

Here is what you can do to prevent palpitations. For example you should definitely try to avoid things that can trigger them. That is the tip number one.

Here is what you should do, what you should pay attention at:

• You should reduce stress and anxiety. They are very common cause of harmless palpitations but you should avoid it. For example, aromatherapies and some exercises such as yoga can relax you.
  • Try to cut out caffeine, alcohol and nicotine as much as you can.
  • Try to exercise a little bit.

Those are just some of the tips but I am sure that there are more of them.

Good day there. Palpitations are infrequent skipped heartbeats and last only for a few seconds and usually don't require evaluation. That is why you maybe don’t feel them but they are there. So, here is what you need to do - if you have any history of heart disease and have frequent palpitations or have palpitations that worsen, you should talk to the specialist.  He will know what to do and he will probably suggest heart-monitoring tests to see if your palpitations are caused by a more serious heart problem. After this scan I am sure that your doctor will know what to do with your condition.