Hi new to this forum hope I am in right one
Here goes: 46 yr old male (thin) and somewhat active
I get:
heart palpations
shortness of breath
somewhat of a lump under sternum
food wants to get stuck (not choking but lower going to stomach)
the jitters (I guess you can call this panic attack like)
more heartburn than I used to
I do drink beer and it seems that 24 to 30 hours after last drink is when it seems to set it off
THIS LASTS FOR DAYS NOT HOURS in varying severity. I have been without a drink for about 7 days now and I still have the palpations right now but kind of mild. Please note I am not an everyday drinker it is just that I drew a connection
EKG and blood workup were normal although I was symptom free at the time
When I get the palpations/jitters/shortness of breath sometimes walking or some other movement activity actually seems to help alleviate the symptoms.
Here is another tidbit: one day a few months ago I believe it was a Saturday night and I started to have the palpations/jitters occur. I got kind of ticked (don't ask me to explain this reaction) so as I said movement helps so I moved right down to my local watering hole. Guess what after a beer or so I had relief. Doctor thought that indicated nerves but I just know that isn't it. I found this forum and some of the things I am reading are very familiar

even if you were symptom free ekg would show and previous cardiac damage so if no abnormality was found on there then you should not worry about your heart.

Of course a 46 year old male had heart palpitations and went IMMEDIATELY to a bar!!!! XD What it sounds like to me is good old panic attacks. It is usually around the time of stress, has something changes in your personal life? Work, relationship, children etc. etc.? A lot of palpatations arise from like of rest - as in DEEP sleep and plenty of it. I think you have already proven that it is not your heart, as if it was the palps would increase with drinking and moving. You could also have an electrical problem - so to speak. That the "spark plugs" are misfiring. What you should really note is WHAT lead up to these murmurs! If you write down what IS going on everyday, and then see if it connects with your heart. Anxiety is VERY common, especially in this financial environment. Even if you are not conscious of being overly concerned about something. Doesn't mean you are not SUB consciously worried about it. A heart specialist once told me you can also have palpitations from your stomach, which feels like it's in your heart. You have an aeorta in your gut as well. So that could ALSO be tied to your heartburn. But heartburn is CLASSIC anxiety too. Everything inside is connected, stomach ulcers, heartburn, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeats etc. Don't be upset about having Anxiety, it is your body's response to stress! The only thing you can do about it is to drink ;-) JK! Try to relax, and figure out what brings on these attacks. If it can't be solved ask for a heart halter. Which you wear for 3/4 days. THEN the palps will be caught - the sneaky little buggers! XD I'm not making light of your situation, I KNOW it is frightening - been there done that. I just want you to know you are Definitely not alone and it happens a lot! Best of luck and health

I know everything kind of points to nerves but I am just not convinced. I have had this body for 46 years (LOL) and although I know I am a nervous person it is kind of strange to all of a sudden to start reacting like this after all this time. Everything in life is sort of OK. No big changes. I am pretty sure my ticker is OK. The palpitations are just a symptom. Something is triggering it. Even if I do wear a monitor and it picks up palpitations or even PVCs so what, I already know that. I am going to call Dr. tomorrow and be more insistant on digging further. I need to treat this even if it means some kind of nerve medication though I am not a big pill taker. (legal or non)I agree on the stomach possibility. That is why I posted in this forum. I have had two different people (non MDs) TELL me that it sounded like I had a hiatal hernia and I looked it up and the shoe sure fits! Even the palpitations. The food getting stuck thing... although to me not related might be a key. Any info from anyone is appreciated

Hi There: Believe it or not I seem to know quite a bit about different problems!!! INCLUDING a Hiatial Hernia! A Hiatial Hernia is a twist or a bump in your intestine, it almost ALWAYS comes with terrible vomitting, and comes and goes! An operation is always needed to rectify the situation if it continues for a long time. Now another thing, women go into menopause around the age of 40! Men have similar changes - thus the so called "Midlife Crisis" Just because your body has held it's part of the bargain for all these years doesn't mean it can keep up that required agreement! Many many people have heart palpitations for all sorts of reasons, for women it is becoming more and more known as a symptom of premenopause! Caffeine, smoking, any stimulant etc. can set these unusual beats off! If you have a feeling it is your stomach then it probably is. And your nerves and stomach are SO CLOSELY related it is incredible. Thus - Ulcers, excessive acid, burping, nausea, vomitting, diareha etc. Everything inside works like a fine oiled machine, each organ depends on the other to survive and work effectively. And when one is off - ESPECIALLY a big one, like your heart, lungs, stomach, kidneys. It sets in motion an inbalance. The palps are probably coming from your stomach's aeorta! It just feels like it's coming from your heart, because everything is connected. If you ask your doctor for a heart monitor, then you can find out once and for all. Some people end up having shock therapy, to basically kick start your heart into a regular rythym! My 1 BIG piece of advice is this, don't get too wrapped up into self diagnosis through the internet! It can lead to miss information, and HUGE panic! Ask for a heart monitor and go from there. Even though palps aren't usually dangerous, sometimes they can be a sign of something wrong with the heart. If it is not the heart, then I think you will have to be checked out for an ulcer! Also try Calcium with Magnesium and Potassium! You need all of these to have a good functioning heart. PLUS they also help your stomach! Good luck

Hi I did a reply just now, but I didn't log on, so if there is this and another from a guest sorry! 1st thing to do is ask your GP for a heart monitor. Make sure that this is a stomach problem and not your heart. If it is your heart, there is an electrical stimulation that can be done to your heart to get it into a normal rhythym. Tony Blair had it done a couple of years ago. As you age things start happening that didn't happen before, women go into menopause with MANY changes - including palpatations!! And men have similar changes - thus the term "Midlife Crisis". So what your mind and body could handle 20 years ago isn't the case now. And also in our day to day lives we are SO busy that sometimes the body says "heh you just wait a minute here!" "You didn't deal with what happened last month, so we are going to deal with it NOW!" So it is hard to figure out what brought on a sudden attack. Once the doctors can determine if it is your heart or not, then you will know it is probably your stomach. As we age we are more prone to ulcers, acid stomach, heartburn, indigestion, burping, nausea, diareha etc. EVERYTHING inside you is connected and needs each other to function properly. If one thing is wonkey the others follow suit! Your Stomach, lungs, heart, kidneys, liver are the big ones. So if something isn't right it can make everything else down the line - so to speak - go off the tracks. So start taking anti acid medication. Including Calcium with Magnesium and Potassium, these are needed for optimum heart rhythyms. So 1st get your heart ruled out, then go from there. good luck