Back in the beginning of July I started having a burning pain on the right side of my abdomen. It felt like I had a bag of hot water in my side. The pain would radiate to my back and never went away. Now up until this point I was a pretty heavy drinker. I drank probably six to eight beers or the equivelent every day and more on weekends. I did a little research and found an article about liver disease and chronic pancreatitis. I remembered vaguely having similar feelings the day after drinking heavily in the past although nowhere near as painful. I became convinced that my drinking was causing my problem, so I quit. That was July 7th. After two and a half weeks the pain went away. I did have two times when I felt a weird disconnected numb feeling in my abdomen slightly to the left and center of where my original pain was.

After another week or so we were having a party and I decided a drink couldn't hurt at this point. Well I drank that night ( Friday 8/7) and Saturday and Sunday. The following Wednesday the pain came back. So I'm thinking it must be the alcohol, so I quit again. At this point I'm thinking it might be Alcohol-induced Chronic Pancreatitis. The problem is that I don't have any of the symptoms, other that pain in the right side. No nausea, no vomiting, no bowel problems, no blood, no fever, no nothing. I went another couple weeks until one night the pain started up on the left side too. Now I'm confused and wondering if maybe it's a kidney infection, since it's in the same place on the both sides now.

I finally went to the doctor on 9/4. He tested blood and urine and did an abdominal / chest x-ray. Everything came back normal. He says that rules out any kind of infection, pancreatitis, kidney, etc. He suggested I try taking Prilosec OTC for 30 days. I did and it didn't help. I drank a little off & on over those 30 days, maybe 12 beers total. I went back on 10/2 and told him it wasn't working. He suggested we do an MRI. I told him I'd think about it since I don't have insurance and the costs are astronomical. So now here I am, I've quit drinking entirely for three weeks now and I still have a hot burning pain on both sides of my abdomen. All the time. I have no other symptoms other than that. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it greatly. It's like having a heating pad on my side that you can't escape from and it's driving me crazy. Also, I'm only 30 and husband and father of two great kids. The stress of not knowing what's wrong with me and whether or not its potentially life-threatening is taking it's toll as well. However, I don't have money to toss into too many more tests either. I'll do it if I have to, but I'd like to avoid it if possible. Help!

Hi there, it sounds to me like you might be suffering from anxiety--have you considered giong to a therapist at all? I used to have stomach pains as well that went away once I got some regular therapy. It might help you a lot. What do you think?

Its funny you should mention that. I'm beginning to think that may be the case. For the past few years I've been having these panic attacks; I feel like I can't breathe, chest pain, shakes, etc. The funny thing is that it happens for no good reason. I'll be watching tv and having a good time and I'll have one of these episodes. It's not like a phobia or something. I asked my doctor if he thought it could be from stress / anxiety, but he said it was unlikely. I'm thinking about calling him to see if he has some samples of anti-anxiety medication I could try for a few weeks and if my symptoms improve, then at least we can narrow it down. I don't want to go to a therapist because they are expensive, and I have a general aversion to talking to people. I just want this pain to go away.

am having similar problem. Please help me with your experience.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Any info will be highly appreciated. Thanks

im going through the exact same thing to the T. i drank almost every day up to eight beers a day. now i barely drink anymore due to the burning and pain in my sides. i dont know what this is. im planning on going to a doctor to have an mri done. doctors have been telling me infections but the medicine hasnt done much.

Kindly let us know the outcome of the MRI. I pray we all overcome this horrible thing

It's defiantly not anxiety. I've been having the same problem, and I live a almost stress free/anxiety life. It's not stomac pains, it's almost side pain/burning. So you can rule out anxiety.

I just started having it yesterday . Both sides feels a burning sensation. Don't know what to do for it .

i found this thread after doing a desperate search whilst in agony. Does it go away for anyone after lying on your right side for awhile? Because mine has,

I have same problem how did therapy help if may ask?

It happened to me too,every time after I ride my scooter
Maybe has to do with impact

It startet on one side than both side..From kidney to center of belly

My burning began about 2 months ago in my left front side. It started today in the back. I need to get to a physician and do what I can to get answers. Will share what I find out.

Hello, I had the same problem and still do from time to time.... I no this sounds crazy but I started going to a chiropractor and it seemed to help....to be straight I won't go for 2 months and the pain comes back....all your nerves are connected to the spine.... try it see if it helps....
FYI my opinion just trying to help... it may not work

Could be colonitis. Ulcers in the colon that get irritated by some foods and drink. Suggest you try a fob map diet for a while and eat lots of salmon to reduce swelling.

I found soaking in a hot bath works wonders. Especially if you can't get to the ER right away.