Hello, I am a 23 year old male, for a few months I have been experiencing this weird sensation of always having to take a deep breath or like sighing, actually sighing is the more acurate discription I think, its like I do it most of the day almost every day, I dont/havent had a cough or pain or any real respritory (sp?) symptoms, I have had palpitations (kinda fluttering in my chest) but not very often at all, not every day, not every week or 2 weeks. But I am ALWAYS worrying about my health, thinking about it, testing myself to see if I am breathing ok or what not. And that may be the root of it, I dont know, its almost like its a "habit". I feel pretty good, I dont feel sick or anything like that, but this problem makes me think that I am, you know? I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder when I was a Jr. in high school (so about 5-6 years ago) the Dr gave me meds and it all cleared up and went away. I dont get out much, and I dont excercise that often anymore, kind of out of shape. Never have had a history or heart problems or lung problems. I asked in the Heart board cuz no one is answering me in the anxiety board, but if someone thinks this could be heart or lung related please say so...Anyway In Sep. 09 my family had a pretty big tragedy and I had to move back home to help with everything, I tell myself there is no way that could be the cause of all this, but maybe?? I really dont know. Anyway Ill leave it at that for now, If ANYONE has any advice or has had this kind of experience please get at me, it would GREATLY help. Much Thx.

Hi Brandon! I will tell you the virtually certainty you ARE suffering from Anxiety and possibley depression! Your breathing and papitations are CLASSIC! Also there is something called "Post Truamatic Stress Syndrome" Your body is NOW dealing with the tragedy in September! IF you do not deal with stress and upset your body WILL deal with it eventually! Usually out of the blue and hit you sideways and catch you off guard! Where you are wondering "Why is that happening" You need to take it nice and slow and look into WHy and also what medications can you take! etc. Don't worry OK there are a HUGE amount of us out there! Good luck and health honey!

bambi27 you say the body will deal with it eventually. Is this good or bad? Will it fix itself, or will something bad happen?

No it's just that it HAS to deal with it! Have you ever heard of "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder"?! What this means is that something awful happened, and nothing physical or mental happened at that time, but weeks, months, years later something triggered it and the body reacts just like if it happened NOW! Just like when people are injured and they are in shock, and don't feel it, then when they calm down WHAM the body feels it! IT is the way the brain deals with things - It coordinates and put's things either away or on file to deal with later - I don't know why I always use office talk 8-| XD -So if you need medical help for this then get it honey!

Thank you Bambi, Ive read a lot of your posts on here and I really respect your opinion, and its funny you say what you said cuz I didnt really feel like this after it happened, it took a while after. And plus I do have a history of anxiety...And I think my mind creates a lot of the feelings I have. For example I was at a friends wedding the other day and I was having a blast my mind wasnt going a mile a minute and I had NO symptoms, nothing. Does that sound normal?? I think when I sit around all day and let my mind wander it really escalates these feelings...what do you think Bambi??

Oh Totally! It is SO overwhelming in this day and age of CONSTANT being contacted and "On!" Such as Twitter, Facebook, Cell Phones, etc it can be VERY overwhelming for the brain! And when you have "Downtime" it hits you and you are EXHAUSTED! And this is the time those things you didn't deal with hit you! From the sounds of it your anxiety is VERY treatable, and I believe that you might not even need medical intervention IF you can get out more and do more things that take you away from the overwhelming or boring! Such as hanging with old friends and remembering the good old days, or playing baseball, football etc etc. Socializing period!

yeah I think you are pretty much right. Its just hard gettting out of that funk. %-) I just feel like I am always worrying, and this breathing nonesense is really getting old. But I need to change things Im sure and it would help. if you have any tips I would love to hear. Youve been great

I want you to do something, for the next couple of minutes be TOTALLY concious of swallowing! Concentrate on it non stop, then after several minutes try to stop thinking about it! it's the same as for your breathing! It is taking over and it's all you can think about! When Anxiety hits it is ALL your brain and thus yourself thinks about! It is overwhelming, so you need to try and retrain your brain to not think about it! Which is hard BUT can be done - IF your panic is slight! I would think your first step should be tackling the terrible thing that happened last year! By counselling - they show you how to figure this out and deal with it! A lady told me about a book about anxiety issues - it makes you think about the biggest anxiety triggers you have and learn to deal with them and squash them! Do you think I can remember the darn name?!!!! 8-| So first lets get you in to see either a counsellor, psychologist, psychiatrist! And if it was over a death, a grief counsellor would be the best to talk too! This is VERY helpful - as I have gone through several different counsellors and Drinking Alcohol!!!! ;-) o.O XD XD

sorry i had to come back, i dont know why i cant shake this feelin. it sucks. ill feel good for a couple of days and then ill feel bad again. like today i was walkin thru a store and all the sudden i had like a "palpitaion" felt like my heart stopped or something ( i can never explain that damn feeling) of course earlier in the day i had like 6 or 7 glasses of iced tea (A LOT more than normal) that coulda been the cause of it. and the thing is i dont feel like c**p when it happens it just kinda shocks me. i dont know. i just need someone to re assure me, Bambi you were great! I still get that sensation to "sigh". and im sure its all stress/anxiety/depressed, idk. but any talkin would be great. thx.

Palpitations are one of the biggest signs of anxiety! What I had to do was STOP all Caffeinated drinks - so thus Starbucks stocks plummetting! XD Getting at least 8 hours of sleep, and NEVER having numbing agent with Ephedrine in it! So within a week or two of stopping I had less and less palpitations, now I get them - like a couple of missed beats - when I'm REALLY tired! I am also on medication for it though! ;-) XD

so this is what I would like you to do! 1st REALLY cut out ALL stimulants including caffeine and booze and smoking! Then make an appointment to see your doctor or psychiatrist about calming your anxiety! MILLIONS of us experence anxiety honey! so don't think you are any different! OK? Palpitations are TERRIFYING! So you need to first find out that your heart is OK! Then start practicing the correct ways of dealing with it! Let me know what the doctor says OK?

see what I read was that palpatations arent serious if you dont have them ALL the time and there are no other symptoms that come along with them. I dont know, but thats what I heard.

That's incorrect! Arythmia - palpitations - CAN mean something serious, holes in the heart, enlarged heart muscle, infection etc. MOST are just from outside factors of stress, lack of sleep, stimulants etc. You NEED to have your heart tested 1st, THEN get other help after!

Ok i didnt say they DIDNT signal something serious, Im saying that if you dont have those other symptoms its not usually serious, you said it yourself in these earlier posts "Palpitations are one of the biggest signs of anxiety" and you also told me I was definatley suffering from anxiety, I also think that caffiene may have something to do with it too. Ive never had heart problems, and maybe I do need to get it checked on, I dont have palps ALL the time or in a consistent pattern, I dont feel dizzy, i dont faint, dont have chest pain or shortness of breath (other than the sighing that Ive been talking about this whoel time) Now I ask you, DO YOU THINK MY PALPITATIONS ARE REALLY FROM A HEART DEFECT??? Maybe...but probably not. If it keeps up or gets worse I will absolutley go to the Dr. Im just trying to get the best answers and advice!

Do I think that your palpitations are from heart disease?! NO! Do I want you to get a yes or no about your heart? YES! As I stated before I had them once in awhile and they would be in "clusters" and then go away and come back - without rhyme or reason! So 1 time I had to go to the hospital with TERRIBLE palpitations! The weird thing was I could walk around, I got changed while my husband phoned the ambulance! My heart was ALL over the place in the ambulance and in the hall way of the hospital and then as soon as the cardiologist came to see me - TOTALLY normal! So the paramedics had to prove to him and show him my print out! So they told me ONLY to come back IF my heart was beating like that for over 3 or 4 days!!!!! o.O 8-| So then my doctor sent me to a cardiologist, where they found an enlarged valve and a heart murmur! So they told me to cut out the caffeine and not have Emphedra in numbing shots for the dentist! They said it wasn't dangerous! So at least each time I go them I wasn't TOTALLY panicking! So that is what I would like you to do this too! Just to put your mind at ease, so then you know what to avoid! And it wont be lurking in the back of your mind "I wonder if this is damaging my heart etc" Just be careful what you read sometimes OK? I know that you stated "sometimes" BUT that is also incorrect! Sometimes people have "little hints" before a big hint! And when it comes to the most important organ in your body, it's best to err on the side of caution! Try and jot down what is happening or what you have ingested when these blips happen, this can REALLY help you define what causes it!

Heyya, 

I was just reading through these posts and I know they were from years ago but I've been experiencing the same recently. I keep sighing constantly and when I am thinking about my studies it gets more frequent. I am a 21 yr old student. I must admit, I have quite a few jobs that are helping me pay for my degree *sigh* and most of the time I find that, no matter how much effort I put into studies, I dont get a good grade. I have also been through some stuff that kinda ran round in my head for a year, (not good experience/ one that i regret and semi miss at the same time/ confusing) *sigh* But I feel like I have moved on from there and I am getting the hang of working my jobs and doing my degree at the same time. I realized I was sighing so much just recently and it just makes things harder, because I feel like my body is too tired for it and then I stress out because I think I cant handle it and I tend to.... ermm.... *sigh* ... calculate my future, by anything that happens in my life. I cant really help it. Its what I have been taught by my culture all my life. 

Is there anything I can do to just ease it? I am not great with hospitals and medical appointments.... noscomephobia :( *sigh* 

Thanks

Willow

PS: The sighs are just to give you an idea of how many times I sigh in one conversation. and I have had a whole 12 hour sleep today, so I find it hard to blv that I might be tired.