Hi all,
I am a 23 year old female who is in generally good health. I am "technically" over-weight even though I'm 5'7 and 155. I'm a very athletic build, so I'm not overweight. Anyway...
Everyday now I have skipped heart beats. I know they are skipping or pausing because I have felt them while taking my pulse also. They are always worse during the week during the weekend and also at certain times. It seems when I get them during the week the most is when I'm working. I am currently a server and will go in at 7am. I am usually fine until about 9 or 10 i will eat a snack and from there on out my heart is skipping beats. It's awful, they happen ALL THE TIME for the next long hours. Today they started about 10:30 a.m. and have pretty much let up about now at 6:30 p.m. I go from serving straight to coaching gymnastics. It seems once my body slows down and gets to rest then they calm down all together. Now on the weekends I may have only a few skipped beats for the whole day and they usually are more suttle. I used to take liquid carafte for mild gastritis but had to stop bc my new health insurance won't cover it.
So here are my questions:
Do you think my skipped heart beats are anxiety and I don't realize it? (I am a very anxious person but don't seem to really feel that anxious lately when this has been going on.)
Do you think my skipped heart beats are gastrointestinal? (I recently had full blood and urine work-up and everything came back fine. I thought I had an ulcer but didn't have the bacteria for it.)
Or do you think I may actually have a heart problem? (I wore a holter monitor for 48 hours 3 years ago when my heart was skipping beats but it was a different situation then and it came back completely normal.)

I feel like I'm going insane! Someone please make me feel better and make me feel like my heart isn't going to stop beating all together!

Hi claybabe,

Lets try to put our minds at ease together. I am a 23 year old female as well. I am very athletic, in fact I am a long distance runner. My major in college is theatre. About a month ago, I went up to perform, just like I always do, but this time my heart started beating into my throat and it felt strange. So I put my fingers on my carotid pulse and my heart was skipping beats. I panicked! I had never felt anything like that before. So I looked into it and clearly it was a rush of adrenaline, because my body went into its fight or flight mode. That is what a panic attack is. I knew that's what it was, but I went in and had an EKG anyways to put my mind at rest. I have had two now, and each time they have told me I have a strong good looking heart. Neither of those had caught my palpitations. So everyday, for the past couple months, I am constantly putting my fingers on my pulse checking my heartbeat. I do it non-stop and my boyfriend is yelling at me to stop. Well, about two days ago I was getting ready to go to another show and was putting on my coat at my apartment and I checked my pulse and it was skipping beats again! I wasn't performing, but I was about to go to my performance. Then, yesterday I worked out and was sitting down cooling off and grabbed something to eat and my heart was skipping beats again.

So this becomes mentally taxing. If you are anything like me, you are always checking in on yourself, making sure your hearts still beating. This is what you need to know; Heart Palpitations won't hurt you! Everyone has them. There is no study that has ever shown that a heart palpitation will kill you. Your heart is a glorious thing, do you know why? Your heart wants you to live! Your heart is the one thing that tries it's hardest not to give up on you. Your heart beats millions of times throughout your life, you have to expect it to backfire once in a while! This doesn't mean anything. The problem for you and me is that we have put our fingers on our pulse when it has happened and now we are obsessed. Others have it happen to them daily and they probably never notice it. Some people who have palpitations say they get worse when they are focusing on them because it makes you panic. Even if you feel somewhat calm, that feeling will incite panic in even the strongest human being. I read a doctors post about heart palpitations and he says he sees hundreds of thousands of people for the same worries you and I have. He says that of all the people he sees, only a teeny tiny number actually have a problem and most of those problems are determined just by the listening of a stethoscope! And we have even went further with our tests and they were negative. We have to have faith that our heart is on our side. Have faith that your heart wants you to live. I do not smoke, nor do I drink caffeine and I still have palpitations, so don't you worry if you think thats the only thing that causes them. People also get heart palpitations from starchy carbohydrates. You should look up heart palpitation blogs and you will see that millions of people are asking these same questions. We are normal. How about this, lets place a worst case scenario, just so you can feel a little better, (Sort of and oxy-m***n, haha). The worst thing that can come from years and years of palpitations and your heart beating horribly fast is an enlarged heart which can be dangerous. Well guess what! Even that number of who that actually happens to is itty bitty. So good news, you are normal and probably very very healthy. I have done enough research for myself, so I hope this helps.

Starting today, ignore the urge to check your pulse. You need to welcome you heart palpitations because they are nothing that will hurt you. They are normal. If you fear them, they will haunt you, if you welcome them, you will have nothing to be scared of. Next time you have them, mentally tell yourself, "Go on heart, skip a beat. I don't mind because I know you will start right back up! Thanks for keeping me running!" I know it sounds silly but thank your heart for doing such a great job. By doing this, you will put your mind at rest and if you keep feeling your pulse, I bet they will subside because you don't fear them causing more anxiety. Anxiety is not a disorder. It comes from life changes. Take some time for yourself and figure out what you need to do to slow things down and calm yourself. Anxiety causes you to fall into a sensitized state, so right now you are just super sensitive to things you are feeling in your body. You can climb out of this funk, but you have to take the initiative. I am from Michigan and I am moving to California in march for a job leaving my family and my boyfriend. I am a hot mess. I know that's why this is all happening. It will soon go away once I come to terms with it and welcome it into my life and stop fearing the change.

I pray this helped put your mind at ease. This helped me too. We can work through this together. We aren't alone in this. God Bless!

Thank you very much for that post, it did make me feel better.

I went to the doctor yesterday to get a check up on them bc I had mentioned them before but we had never really thought much about them. But I went since they had been bothering me so much lately. This week has really shown me that I think it is anxiety. My heart skipped like crazy on Monday when I was at work and went straight to coaching. For like 8 hours straight it was non-stop and I was nervous as could be because of it. Well I have only had a couple of skipped beats all week since then. I worked Tuesday and was fine, and I only coached yesterday and only felt about 2 skipped beats and they were when I bent over to spot something. Today nothing so far. :-)
My nurse practicioner (my dr retired) wants to put me on prozac and have a holter monitor done but I can't really afford the monitor. My insurance isn't covering it really so that's $500 I have to pay. I complained of skipped heart beats about 3 years ago and we did a holter test and it came back fine. I then went on lexapro according to my chart and I stopped complaining of the skipped beats.
So this makes me think I am just over-worked, over-stressed, and it's all anxiety.
If someone thinks different then let me know, but my dr says that my heart sounds good and I know it is (I think). I just need to stop obsessing over this. :-)

You don't need a monitor to tell you that your all right. You have to know your all right. You just typed all the reasons that make palpitations so common, so now you have to convince yourself! You just convinced me why your having them and that makes perfect sense! Make a promise right now to yourself that you will be strong. (I need to follow my own advice!) I guarantee once you get out of this sensitized, exhausted state, you will never notice them. Welcome them and good luck.

Hugs!

Claybabe - you wrote this more than a year ago but your post put me at ease today - thank you Rick Jordaan

You wrote this over a year ago.......and I want to thank you for the beutiful words and the way you spoke about out hearts. You really helped me here so from my heart to yours thank you!