Hi! I've had a thyroid disease for the past 11 years (2 years hyperthyroidism followed by radioactive iodine treatment that has left me with hypothyroidism for the past 9 years) but it is fairly stable.

Recently, I was diagnosed with vertigo and inner ear balance problems after suffering from horrible dizzy spells and nausea. (tilting, room spinning, head pounding with any shift of the level of my body, nausea etc) After following the doctors orders to only rest, it went away after a week.

That was a 3 1/2 months ago. Now its coming back. When I lie down or get up, my head starts spinning though not quite as severe as before. I'm also experience the headaches and blurring vision when the light is changed drastically or if i look too long at any neon sign, the computer, or TV.

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? Is my thyroid disease related at all to it? Is being exposed to constant bright lights (i live in the city so there are constant bright neon lights all around me) the culprit? I've just moved to a new city with a different culture from my own, but I've felt that I'm adjusting fine. Could a new diet be the culprit? (Went from a western diet to a korean diet)

I've already tried resting more and longer. I've increased my water intake (in case the headaches were related to dehydration). And my diet is full of fruits, veggies, and i take a multivitamin. I don't know what's going on. and I'd really like to try to combat this before it reaches the level it was three months ago. I don't think my head could take another week of that. PLEASE HELP!! I really appreciate it!! Thank You!

That sounds like my problems except mine never stop even with rest. I went to the doctor today and they said it was anxiety but I know its not because it is more severe than that. I get vertigo light headedness dizziness, face numbness,off-balance,nausea,sensitivity to light,floaties in my eyes. I am going to see a neurologist and getting an mri done so hopefully it will find out something. I hope u get the help u need it can be a horrible thing living with it good luck!

Mine started about 17 years ago, after a bout with the flu. In the middle of the night I woke up feeling like I was falling out of a plane. the room was spinning fast. I had a terrible headach and my head was on fire, but my feet were freezing. I went to an ear nose and throat specialist and he said I had labarinthitus. He told me there was nothing he could do but recomend, Dramamine (for motion siclness ). He also told me I would proably get it again but it would be less serious each time. I am now 59 and got this november 2007 and it seems to get better and worse depending on my sleep, although I still have it every day. It,s now june and I'm wondering if it will ever go away. Like Achristine, I too have a thryoid problem and also Celiac sprue ( a gluten problem ) . I wonder If thoes contribute to the problem. Regular doctors have not been helpful. I'm now trying Accupunture, Chinese medicine and NAET and am hoping for the best. If anyone has any knowledgable sujestions please post. thank you ?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I am 29 years old. Female. I had shortness of breathe, and dizziness, nausea, and pounding in my head. Fatigue, and now like twitching & muscle spasms.I feel like my brain inmoving back & forth inside my head, the room isnt spinning-- i am. I had an ekg, prego test, mra,mri,blood work, and head/chest x-rays -- all came back okay. Then ear,nose,throat doc said i have perfect hearing & no problems wiht my ears,nose or throat> WHAT THE HELL is wrong with me?? Is this stress? Panic attacks or something much worse?

the majority of people are describing a syndrome I had first in 1997, that was first misdiagnosed as labirinthitis. This is called paroxismal postural vertigo and it is not a proper labirinthitis, but an affection of the internal ear for which the semi circular canals, which give us our sense of balance in space, are not functioning properly. INside the canals we have small grains, called oteolitis, that "roll" inside them as we move our head. If these get stuck, you internal ear will percive that you are in a differnt spatial position than the one you see. the mismatch between what you see and what your internal ear feels causes the nausea. I could not turn my head around, lie down in bed or bend over without almost falling off with my head spinning. A guy described here the feeling of "falling off a plane" it is really like that, is is terrible, you feel thrown all over the place.

This happens to me regularly, every two years but everytime is less violent and I know now that I need to keep my head as still as possible and take some pills for motion sickness. for a few days and avoid suddne head movements There is a manouvre that is performed by a specialist that can unstuck the otolitis in your canals and will resolve the problem instantly, otherwise just wait. But really it is a mechanical problem. Fast moving images, neon lights, computer scrolling can trigger the symptoms becasue your eye movement is connected in your brain to your internal ear, so watching fast moving lights will have the same effect as moving your head. I hop0e this helps

did you ever find out what was wrong with you, i am now going through the samething..

thank you

Te heart rate dizzy prain c**p is anxiety ive lived with it for 15 years it sucks but you can over come it with rest and low pressured situations.

You all might be interested in googling 'adrenal fatigue' symptoms.

Not all but some of you may be suffering from that. I got into that state myself.

God bless

Dawnx

Get your iodine levels tested!!!!

To check for adrenal fatigue take a mirror and flashlight into a dark room, shine the light at the side of your head, watch your eyes in the mirror, the pupils should get big then small and stay small the whole time, if they get larger and keep trying to get small again then you are suffering from a cortisol deficiency....

I have a site that tells you about licorice and ginseng but I got a baby fussing right now email me or ill post later

**edited by moderator**

i have been going through the same thing, the same symptoms that everyone has been describing. blood sugar and insulin imbalances can cause tremors and quaking, also known as syndrome X and metabolic syndrome, I was so terrified, that I called an ambulance and went to the ER was diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia aka syndrome x, also have fibromyalgia, allergies, vertigo, suspected adrenal exhastion, went through premature menopause due to an ovarian injury approx 13 years ago. gained approx 100 lbs, very large belly, too much frontal weght, hair loss, emotional shock sent me into depression and bronchial problems 18 years ago, and all of this followed along, crave carbs and sweets also, body cannot use the carbs for energy so it is stored as fat. Used to be very slim, concave tummy, ate like a horse with no weight gain. can lead to diabetes minerals help chromium, magnesium etc. need a good endo doc willing to do tests and not brush me off. get yourselves checked for hormone imbalances and mineral deficiency, allergy etc.

I had an imbalance such as this several years ago. My ear doctor had a name for it but it was related to a balance gravel which moved around and had become unstable in the head. He cured my by having me lay down with my head hanging over the bed backwards and slowly rotating my head around in a clockwise motion. This reseats the gravel and does away with the room spinning. Consult your ear doctor. Not everyone is aware of this problem. I was lucky in finding a university doctor who had encountered the problem before.

sounds like you have the symptoms of graves disease- hyperthyroid. I had the same symptoms and now on meds. good luck