Its been two scary months with a really bad cough. I went to the ER after the first month and they said it was a virus, a week later went to urgent care and they gave me antibiotics for bacterial infection, two weeks later got worse went to urgent care got a steroids shot and asthma treatment went home with steroids, albuteral and continue to lose oxigen when coughin randomly. I am very scared because it happens any time while sitting, talking, eating, sleeping and I think I'm going to stop breathing each time. My eyes turm shot red and I get like headed with a desperate sound of getting my breath loke if I was being chocked. I just went to the ER after a scary episode and both my lung and throat x-ray came back normal. Has anybody dealt with anything similar to this? If so please help. I will call an ear, nose, and throat specialist tomorrow. I also feel an acidic flavor and flemg sitting on my throat All the time. 

Very similar,including medical treatment antibiotics and steroids to no avail.my gasping start after I cough,then it the deep gasping for air about 5-10  then once the flam is cough up,I feel normal again till the next cough.I have the same fears because,I dont know,whats happening and its emotionally  scary.

Update to my previous reply. After similar experience as you had, with my doctors/specialists. -Augmentin, Amoxicillin, prednisone, Roxithromycin (taken in conjunction with Amoxicillin) and tests
After another lung x ray(spots) and a blood test, I have finally an answer, the test result Adult WHOOPING Cough(commonly 100 day flu)
It is lethal if left untreated (especially around babies/infants/elderly etc).I am responding(gasping/chocking subsided-breathing easier) to my current MEDICATION AZITHROMYCIN (7days).I hope this posting will help, if you still looking for answer to this stressful &mental draining conditions. God luck, - get well