I have had a persistent cough for approx 6 months now which keeps me awake till very late and means i cough up thick chunks of green phlegm all the time mainly mornings. chest x-ray clear, tried inhalor antibiotics pnd meds antihistamines-everything!! something is not right, I just want it to stop it keeps everyone in house awake etc, also very lethargic, doc says nothing else they can do! has anyone else got this or am i just weird? :(

Well, I really can't say that this is nothing and that you just live with it somehow: the doctors did not find the exact cause for what is causing the, mot likely, infection. Usually it's bacterial infection or post nasal drip, but it happens that these bacteria require special higher doses of antibiotics or the infection might even be fungal. You simply are not getting enough oxygen, no wander you are lethargic. Really - this is not something that is considered regular and you have to push your doctor until you find the cause.

I had a cough for more than 6 months, and coughing up sticky green slime 5 or 6 times each day and sometimes at night. So, I decided to stop taking Symbicort. The first 2 days were difficult because I think my lungs had become addicted to the Symbicort. After that it was progressively easier. The coughing continued for 2 weeks and became less every day. The sticky green slime became less as well... It has been about 5 weeks since I stopped the Symbicort and I'm not coughing now, nor coughing up any slime. I had some Flovent left over from a previous doctor so I am taking that one puff morning and one at night in place of Symbicort, for now.