I have been coughing for more than 4 months. I have been on more than 12 medications to no avail. Lately, I have been coughing so much that I have been throwing up. It is not mucus, rather saliva.

What does this mean?

Dear Chronic Cougher-

I trust you are feeling better as it has been two years since this was posted!! I have been looking through all these archives to see if anyone had/is experiencing what I am going through. Your post hit it on the head!! I have been couging for 2 1/2 months now following a severe cold. Sometime I cough so hard I throw up clear mucus. Other than the cough (and my chest hurting from so much coughing) I feel fine. No fever, high energy etc. I have thus far been to the doctor twice. I had a chest x-ray (normal), and they put me on Claritin, prescription nasal spray, an inhaler and a course of antibiotics. None of this has helped. At this point I am getting concerned that there is someting serisouly wrong!! I am 47 and have never been a somker. What finally helped you?????? I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me. THANKS

Yeah, I have "something" too. About 3 months ago, I came down with a fever, aches, overall not feeling well, and a small cough. The fever came and went, mostly afternoon and broke during nights... low grade. I started self medicating on antibiotics I already had and it went away. About 2 weeks passed and something is back. Again started with a fever for like a day and now no fever. I have decent energy I believe, but this cough is something else. I am coughing up a fairly thick yellow mucus at at times... mostly on the light side of yellow. My lungs are clear... no cracking/popping/wheezing (I have a stethoscope). But this cough sometimes comes on and I literally cannot stop coughing and it almost gags me. Never had anything like it before. I think my daughter and fiance' have it too, so if you find out what the heck is going around, let me know.

After more than 3 months I finally stopped coughing. It just gradualy went away. I did start on Singular, Claritin and a prescripton nasal spray. Not sure if this is what helped the coughing or if it was merely time and the fact that it went away on it's own. Three weeks ago I had my first physical with a new doctor. We spent almost 1/2 hour talking about this coughing. I don't know about others on this thread, but this happens to me almost every winter aftter a cold and can last for 2 weeks to this year's 3 months. My doctor sent me for a methacholine challange to try and get to the bottom of this. Turns out I have asthma and never knew it. For me, asthma triggered after a cold is the probable cause of why I have coughed relentlessly during the winter for the past 20+ years. If any of you have a chronic cough every year - perhaps you may want to ask about this. For those that are "first time coughers" I have heard of so many people that have had a cough for months and months this year. It is so aggravating while you are going through it but eventually it does go away!!

For everyone who has had these symptoms...please read this.  I've been going through the exact same thing and I've seen these posts all over the internet.  Like all of you, I've had visits to so many doctors who have either told me to 'take Zyrtec' (I had been doing that) or get a gastro check (did that too). It was ruining my life and my husband had moved into the basement so he could get sleep so he could work. It was horrible. 

I finally got the answer from a wonderful doctor.  I had cough-variant asthma! With ducolex (sp?) and atrovent inhalers I stopped coughing and spitting and actually got through the night without the horrible gagging. My life has returned to normal and my husband is back upstairs!  Please check into this. Of course this may not be your problem but CHECK THIS OUT before you totally give up.

Good luck to everyone!

I have been coughing for more than 2months now and i guess i have acidity problm.Maybe aidity gets chronic coughing.BUt i cannot concentrate on work and i do not know what to do.I first got infected due to my friend who was coughing,she got fine in 10 days but for m it has been 2 months.That is the reason i am assuming  have acidity cough.If it was due to cold,woul it stay this long?i have no nose running symptoms,i just keep coughing.Can some one suggets any emdicine??

The same thing happend to me. I took one Prilosec in the A.M. and another before dinner at night. I was on one Prilosec and when I started taking two the cough and spit up of salivia stopped immediately.

IT'S ACID REFLUX I THINK YOU SHOULD TRY TWO PRILOSEC.

MY COUGH ETC. HAS GONE.

I have the same thing. What dud you do?

I beencoughing for months now. I seen the doctor and theygave me X-rays and cough meds. Didn't work. Saw an other doc he gave me meds for aids reflex and after the second day it work but then that week I got a really bad cold, might of been the flu, I don't feel sick now but the cough is back and will not go away and I'm still taking the acid reflex meDs. I am gonna go back to the docs today cause now the muscle in my cheats where my left breast is hurts sooooo bad from coughing now it hurts when I move too do anything. . I about had it and feel like I'm gonna lose it

I have the same problem I think it is acid reflux.

Try Prilosec once A.M. another before dinner P.M. It's probably acid refulux. Give this a try.

I HAD BEEN THROWUP FOR TWO DAYS AND I BEEN COUGHING FOR THREE WEEKS NOW WHAT CAN IT BE

im coughing for over 2 months.. i undergo chest x-ray last march 2013, then another x-ray last april 15, 2013, and its normal. Doctors prescribed different medicines but it seems no effect . whats wrong with me?

I have been coughing for three years.  I went to many doctors and tried medications as well as different procedures done on me.  Blood tests are good, tests are negative and a procedure to look down my throat revealed lots of saliva.  Basically it is reflux which triggers allergies and allergies triggers asthma.  Therefore, this is what's wrong.  Reflux meds have to be taken, eat right and slow, sleep at an angle, stop smoking.  There are certain foods that people with reflux have to stay away from because it will cause coughing: chocolate, onions, green peppers, peppermint, spicy foods and too much alcohol.  Also, allergy meds have to be taken and then when needed asthma meds needs to be taken.  I have all these meds!! My cough has simmered down but anything could trigger an attack (the wrong foods, dust, smoking, etc...) but I am beginning to learn my body and know what to stay away from and what to do.