Hi, I am going through something that I have never experienced before in my life. A persistent cough. It is not that I am catching a cold, at least I don't think so, but this condition came out of nowhere. However, I smoke a cigarette or two during the day. Also, while I cough, my throat hurts. What can you tell me about it, and what are the coughing effects on the throat?

Hi, cough is a reflex reaction. It occurs when the breathing passages are irritated. With it, our body is trying to get rid of the mucus that has developed in the lungs. This type of cough is desirable since it is helping our lungs. There is also a shallow cough. It can be caused by a viral or bacterial infection. This kind of cough is also a product of smoking cigarettes. It can have a negative effect on the throat. The throat can be injured by the cough. If it persists, an infection can develop and, after some time, the infection can spread. This can cause a lot of other diseases that can influence not only the throat, but also other parts of the organism.