Hi I had a pregnancy test at the doctors on Wednesday (9-10 days after ovulation and unprotected sex). The test results came up negative, and my sister who is a medical professional said this is fairly  accurate and conclusive.  I have taken this is a no, so i have been going about things as if i am not (i had a couple drinks yesterday because it was my husband's bday).  But i am now wondering if i still could be.  I haven't missed a period yet(2-3 days away).  Do you think i still have a chance of being pregnant?  How do doctors determine via blood test if you are pregnant?

Hi bug,

I would consider it unreliable.

It is very early to test.  Most doctors won't run the test until you've actually missed your period and there is a reason for this.  It takes time for the hormone, hCG, to rise high enough to be detected.  In your case it is just over a week, normally we tell people to wait at least 2 and preferably 3 weeks after having sex, or missing your period, to test.

There are also different types of tests, qualitative (pregnant yes or no, is the hormone present) and quantitative (how far along is the pregnancy, what is the hCG level.)

Thanks for responding! Should i wait another couple days until I take another hpt?

Wait at least until the two weeks have passed, three if you can.

Both types of test should be accurate by then.

Under ideal circumstances, at the earliest, the blood test should be accurate in 7-12 days. The urine test about 2 weeks.