I've taken a pregnancy test 3 days before my missed period and it came back negative.  I had unprotected sex with my husband at least 3-5 times every week this month! How could I not be pregnant? I know ovulation occurs around 14 days after the 1st day of my period and I'm pretty sure I had unprotected sex everyday 3 days leading up to that day.  I don't know how I couldn't be pregnant. I really want to get pregnant and I'm trying not to stress too much about it and just have fun in the process but I can't help wondering and thinking about it everyday for the whole month.  I tried to wait until I missed my period but I just couldn't wait any longer. Now it's negative. Bummer! 

ACTUALLY OVULATION DOES'NT OCCUR 14 DAYS AFTER YOUR CYCLE GOES OFF IN EVERY WOMAN IT VARIES. I AM SORT OF IN THE SAME SITUATION I  STARTED TO TAKE OVULATION KITS TO DEFINITELY PIN POINT MY OVULATION DAYS IN WHICH  I HAD INTERCOURSEON THOSE DAYS OVULATION AND FERTILE DAYS 5 MORE DAYS UNTIL MY CYCLE DATE AND I AM HOPING IT DOES'NT COME ON I HOPE THAT I AM PREGNANT. I ALSO TOOK A PREGNANCY TEST THIS MORNING AND IT WAS NEGATIVE SO NOW I'M WAITING TILL MY MISSED PERIOD. a LOT OF WOMEN THINK THAT THEY OVULATE ON THE 14 DAY BUT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A NORMAL 28 DAY CYLE LENGTH THEN YOU WON'T OVULATE ON THAT DAY IT VARIES.:-)

Hi Mamma and Toot,

The odds of pregnancy, when everything is "perfect" are only about 1 in 5.

Home tests can not instantly tell if you are pregnant.  It takes some time for the specific hormone, hCG, that they look for to rise high enough to be detected.

Don't drink a lot of fluids to make yourself urinate before the test.  You want to use your FIRST morning urine for the test.  It's more concentrated so more likely to give an accurate result.  If you drink a lot of fluids you'll dilute the level of hormone and it may not be detected.

FYI, we don't even begin to consider fertility issues UNTIL AFTER a year has passed without success.  Keep trying and do stay relaxed, it can help.

Good luck.

how did you get on did you period arrive or are you pregnant?