I am a 50 year old female and have not gone through menopause yet.
I have started having a problem with my feet swelling periodically. I have noticed this when I'm travelling and sitting for an extended period of time (3 hours or more) or sometimes just when I'm sitting at the movies. Most recently I've noticed my fingers swelling also. I live in a hot climate and don't know if this has anything to do with it or could this be a side effect of pre-menopause. I've never had a problem with swelling before, not even during my three pregnancies.

Yes, you could be experiencing fluid retention because of the menopause. It has to do with hormonal fluctuations and their decreased levels.
There are a few things you could do about it and try to get some relief from this problem. You will have to make some dietary modifications and cut down on salt intake, as well as sugar and extra calories. Basically, it is a diet but without a program. These little changes will help not only fluid retention but also other aspects of your health. This doesn’t mean you have to stop eating what you like, when you get the crave, indulge yourself but pay attention to what you eat generally. Eating foods lower in calories will even make you less hungry and you will feel full most of the time.
It is also important to drink a lot of water throughout the day.
Some of the herbs that are said to be helpful against water retention are green tea, dandelion, tea, black cohosh (which proved to be good for other hormonal symptoms), primrose oil, etc
Other than hormones, the following disorders may be blamed for fluid retention and swelling: vitamin B deficiency, kidney disease, heart problems, constipation, allergies, etc