Hi there, I am 20 years old girl who is, by the way, a medical student. I have much more to learn though. Could you explain Potter's Syndrome to me please? Everything would be usefu: I know that this is congenital birth defect. It would be nice if some doctor would explain this for me, I would be grateful.

Hi there, future colleague. You are right; this condition is indeed congenital birth defect. There are five types of the condition. This condition shouldn't be called a syndrome because it doesn't reflect with same features in every case. Therefore it should be called sequence. This is not much important though. This condition can be blamed for some deformities on fetus such as: parrot beak nose, redundant skin and ears that appears to be large because they are low and pressed by the head. Well that is all; I hope that I helped at least a little.

Potters Syndrome can be defined as a sequence in that the primary cause of neonatal demise is pulmonary hypoplasia, secondary with the renal atresia. How do I know? My son was stillborn with it in January 2000. :cry:

Here's some more information to help you in your work:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potter_Syndrome

or for the patient viewpoint, read my son's story at remembering-elliott.co.uk

Thanks

Lynda Wilson

UK