What are the symptoms of the Coxsackie virus with the children? I recently find out that one kid from the neighborhood suffers from Coxsackie virus. There is a reason for me to believe that my child was near him and I am very concerned. I know that is very contagious and dangerous. Should I vaccine my kid as a prevention?

There is no vaccine for Coxsackie virus. Hand washing is the only prevention that I know. It is for worry because about half or all the children infected by Coxsackie virus have no symptoms. Some of them develop severe fevers for a few days, abdominal discomfort or nausea. Beside this, virus can affect different body parts like painful red blisters in the throat and on the tongue, gums, inside of the cheeks, and the palms of hands and soles of the feet, painful spasms in the muscles of the chest and upper abdomen, hemorrhagic conjunctivitis… it is very serious.