on my middle finger on my right i periodically have these severly painful blisters that feel better after i pop them but they are so painful in doing so they almost make me faint. they are localized to only one finger and have never spread anywhere else but when i get them they are just so painful. I would just like to know what the heck i have! sometimes the blisters run together and make one large blister which hurts even worse and now they are at the tip of my finger and are turning purple. Do i have herpes on my hand?! Do i have scabies or shingles? please help if you can.

Hi, I do not know what causes that. I have the same problem on my right forefinger. My blisters are on the bottom portion of the finger. They are not big, but they itch soo bad and it helps when I pop them. Then they get sore and hurt more, but I have to pop them because they hurt and itch soooo much. I would like to know what is going on very much! ?

Hi, I realise this thread is really queit old now but my partner has this same problem and can not get a diagnosis so I was hoping if either of u see this, especially the author, did u ever find out what it was? Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks.

Don't know if u hv had a diagnosis by now or will even see this but my partner has been diagnosed with shingles. I know it sounds weird, shingles on just one finger but its apparently very possible and he is being treated and its helping so thought I'd share incase anyone else may hv this problem and no answer :-):-)

I am having the same problem! Every few months my Right index finger gets about 11 little VERY painful blisters. I have gone to the doctor twice but both times I was pregnant and all they could do was try to test the fluid. They said it might be the staph infection MERSA re-presenting its self, since I had MERSA in 2006, and you can never be rid of it. But- I THOUGHT the blisters look like shingles!! So that makes sense anyhow. Thank you for posting your results. 

I went to the Doc about my finger today. She says its "herpes whitlow" or herpes of the finger! Ew!! I must have gotten it from a cold sore! she says DONT POP THEM cause then you could give yourself genital herpes!  Ack

Yes I experienced the same ordeal a few weeks ago and of course the thought of "herpes on the hand crossed my mind" I believe it's called pompholyx it's undetermined what causes it some sort of dermatitis is the ruling it took a long time to clear it caused red streak on forearm had to take antibiotics don't think they worked much cause it felt tender a couple days ago and I squeezed some fluid out. Unfortunate for us.. Best regards!!

Dyshidrosis (/dɪs.haɪˈdroʊ.sᵻs/,[1] also known as "acute vesiculobullous hand eczema,"[2] "cheiropompholyx,"[3] "dyshidrotic eczema,"[3] "pompholyx,"[3] and "podopompholyx"[3]) is a skin condition that is characterized by small blisters on the hands or feet. It is an acute, chronic, or recurrent dermatosis of the fingers, palms, and soles, characterized by a sudden onset of many deep-seated pruritic, clear vesicles; later, scaling, fissures and lichenification occur. Recurrence is common and for many can be chronic. Incidence/prevalence is said to be 1/5,000 in the United States. However, many cases of eczema are diagnosed as garden-variety atopic eczema without further investigation, so it is possible that this figure is misleading.

This condition is not contagious to others, but the compromised integument can increase susceptibility to infection, and the accompanying itching can be a source of psychological distress.

The name comes from the word "dyshidrotic," meaning "bad sweating," which was once believed to be the cause, but this association is unproven; there are many cases present that have no history of excessive sweating. There are many different factors that may trigger the outbreak of dyshidrosis such as allergens, physical and/or mental stress, or seasonal changes.

I have the same thing. These bumps poped up on my middle finger right hand. They turned purple finger swelled then went down. Now it hurtsto straighten it or bend it after being staight for a few. Did you find out what it was?

I have the same thing as u did u find anything out

I have seen dermatologists and went to the center for disease control in an attempt to cure these outbreaks. No diagnosis was accurate.My symptoms are redness under the nail changing to throbbing and then puss filled blisters which break and then the skin sort rots off around the entire end of my thumb and forefinger. It is really ugly and so painful due to the loss of two layers of skin. Throbbing nerve endings. No one yet has figured out what I have and the treatments at first were antifungal ointments which lead to liver problems. Ick.

I have it too. I looked it up and it seems to be Herpetic Whitlow due to herpes simplex. Acyclovir is the solution!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have had this for over 27 years!! Many years ago as a medic in the army, providing medical support in the field for war games, my finger developed horrible itching, then VERY painful little blisters. I went to the doctor and was told it could be a spider bit. Fast forward 27 years later and it still pops up every now and then. I've never ever known for sure what it was from. I knew it felt like my nerve endings were infected, but had no idea why, but was pretty sure it wasn't from a spider bit so long ago. I now work in a prison, an inmate has chicken pox, is segregated on my unit. I was talking to the nurses about chicken pox, shingles, etc. Once they told me the symptoms of shingles, how it comes from the chicken pox virus, I knew that's what I have! After doing my own research on line, looking at pictures of shingles on people's fingers, I'm almost 100% sure that's my diagnosis. One thing I didn't know is that shingles can come back over and over and over?! It doesn't come back as often as it first did, but periodically, once or twice a year. Bizarre! I don't know where I was exposed to it, how I could've gotten it, and how the doctors I saw didn't diagnose it.

I've had the same thing on my right middle finger since December 2013. I've been told it's digital herpes, & I've been told it's shingles. In both instances I was prescribed Acyclovir, & it works well. Now I just ask for it when I have a flare up.

i just got tested at dermatologist and it is shingles. I have blisters on my middle finger of my right hand. It is not contagious unless the wound is open. Must get on medication asap and keep blisters clean and covered at all times until gone or scabbed over.