My mother told me herpes simplex is a common virus. It causes sores on or near the mouth, which are often called cold sores or oral herpes. However, I found out it could also causes the genital sores known as genital herpes. I have a friend with common problem of oral herpes so I want to hear more about this virus. Beside this, I would like to hear more about genital herpes, so I would appreciate any info.

There are two herpes simplex viruses, known as herpes simplex type 1 and herpes simplex type 2. You should know these viruses are very similar, and either type can infect the mouth or genitals. Most commonly, herpes simplex virus type 1 occurs above the waist, and the other one below. Herpes is spread by direct skin-to-skin contact, unlike a flu virus that you can get through the air. That meant directly from the site of infection to the site of contact. For example, if your friend has cold sore and kiss you, she or he can transfer the virus from her/his mouth to yours. Similarly, if person has active genital herpes and have vaginal or anal intercourse, he or she can transfer the virus from his or her genitals to others. Finally, if someone have a cold sore and put mouth on partner's genitals doing oral sex, person can give to the partner genital herpes. Symptoms of herpes usually develop within two to twenty days after contact with the virus, although it may take far longer. During a first episode of herpes infection, the area is often painful and may itch, burn, or tingle, and flu-like symptoms are also common.