Hello! I have a four years old daughter. She goes to the kindergarten and I noticed she often has problems with her eyes. When she was at home her eyes have never been infected. I plan to talk to her nurse and ask to pay more attention to hand washing and overall hygiene in the kindergarten. Her doctor says it is conjunctivitis. When is conjuctivitis contagious?

Hello! Conjunctivitis is contagious but maybe not so extraordinarily according the popular belief. It is important that your daughter (or any other infected person) resist rubbing or touching the eyes and wash their hands frequently. When people take care and act like this the likelihood of spreading the virus is quite low. Simply being in the same room is not contagious.

Hi there,
Conjunctivitis is also known as pinkeye and you have to understand that this can happen to children often especially if they are in kindergarten. The good news is that conjunctivitis is just a minor infection which is not that serious. I am not sure if this condition stops being contagious at all and this is why children in schools and kindergarten often get it. The good thing is that you asked the nurse to pay more attention to the hygiene because this is only thing that can prevent it. Try to teach your kid to pay more attention to this as well. I hope this helped you in any way.

All the best,
Danella