Hi. I have noticed small bumps on my child`s face, neck and arms. My mother-in-law told me he has molluscum. I think he is too young for that. Molluscum or what else? Is this disease common in children?

Hi. Molluscum contagiosum is a viral skin infection, frequently seen on the face, neck, arms, hands, and arm pits. Molluscum can occur anywhere on the body except the palms and soles. The virus is spread through direct contact (in children), or by sexual contact. The disorder should disappear over a period of months to years. Lesions may be removed by scraping, freezing, surgically, etc. Surgical removal may leave the scar. Meds used to treat warts may be helpful. You should avoid direct contact with the lesions.

charlot is right about the viral skin infection. it's very common in children, and it is contagious. there are a few options: 1. treat for warts, which may or may not work. 2. use a needle to remove the core--but i advise you go to option 3 and let a doc do it. he or she can offer a mild anesthesia, and i highly recommend one. it's a bit on the painful side, especially for a child. best of luck.