ok, I am a 33 year old male, no health problems.... a few days ago I started having a dull "pinching" pain in my lower left abdominal area. It's very nagging and will not go away... I have had this pain for 2 days now.... I feel fine, no fever, great appeitite, no weight loss, no vomiting, doesn't hurt to pee... so I can't figure out whats wrong! All the results of my research point to diverticulitus, or crohn's ... but both those say I should have other symptoms like fever or loss of appeitite... I feel great, and been eating alot... I drink pretty much only water.... just have this dull bothersome pain that will not go away!

can anyone help???

Hi ccg,

I'm not a doctor, but let me throw a few ideas your way.

I happen to have Crohn's disease. What you describe doesn't sound much like Crohn's, though that can't be ruled out entirely. Crohn's is tricky to diagnose - often takes months and a number of tests (colonoscopy, barium-swallow x-rays, sometimes MRI). Mine was diagnosed by exploratory surgery (after 9 months of suffering). It's chronic, lifelong disease, so you're better off without it.

Crohn's disease most commonly strikes in the small intestine, though it can be anywhere inside the digestive tract. Inflammation of the large intestine is more likely caused by ulcerative colitis, another chronic nasty disease though possibly curable with surgery.

I don't know too much about diverticulitis. I know basically what it is, but have little idea of its symptoms and treatments.

If you had said the pain was on your right side, I'd suspect appendicitis. But left side wouldn't make sense, unless it's "referred pain." If it turns out to be appendicitis, consider yourself lucky. That is fully curable if you get your appendix removed (mine was taken out many years ago).

The left side is where the descending colon is. Something could be going on there like a fistula or abscess. At least the good news (if you can call it that) is that a colonoscopy will easily see the problem if its in the descending colon, since that's the place the colonoscope first "visits" when inserted.

This is about as much info as I feel comfortable giving you at this time. I don't want to get you all paranoid about something that might turn out to be easily resolved. If the problem doesn't resolve itself in a few days or gets worse, you'll have to visit a gastroenterologist and get some tests done. Keep a close eye on this problem - if you develop fever, it could be a medical emergency.

If it turns out you do have Crohn's disease, I can give you lots of info.

best regards,
Paraquat

I forgot to add that your problem could be as simple as an intestinal parasite, such as giardia or a tapeworm. If it turns out to be that, it's fully curable with some medications. Definitely better than having Crohn's disease, or even appendicitis.

try apendicitis. mine started on the left. then moved to the right.

isn't there more syptoms to appendicitis than just a dull pain??