Hi, is there a connection between arthritis and crohn’s disease? My mother has crohn’s disease and recently she got severe pain in lumbal region, which was diagnosed as arthritis. As both diseases are autoimmune diseases I thought there might be a connection.

Crohn's disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease, that results in chronic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. It is a systemic disease, and can produce complications such as abdominal pain and diarrhea. Arthritis is an autoimmune disease, but the reason for Crohn’s disease is not known. And when a reason for some disease can not be determined, it is usually classified as autoimmune. Autoimmune diseases are black wholes in medical knowledge. However, there is no functional connection that could be established between crohn’s disease inducing arthritis, as they affect completely different organs.