My partner has been diagnosed with crohn's disease. I am trying my very best to be supportive and to learn as much as I can about the disease. He has been ever so irritable and suffers from the most terrible mood swings. He has not been a pleasant person to be around. Is this because of crohn's disease or could it have a different reason?

I too have Crohns. It does have an incredible impact on your mental state. I find that my poor wife takes the brunt of my moods swings. I am normally trying to be pleasant to people and just get through each working day. When I get home, I lose the facade, because I'm exhausted and in pain. It only takes a questions I don't hear properly to snap back at her, or give a curt answer, because I just want to be left alone. It will be difficult, but your husband needs your support. If you were told you had a lifelong condition, had medications that screwed up your moods, sex drive, physique, and then had to deal with diarrhoea 8 or 9 times a day, you too would feel worn down and exhausted. The only way to describe my daily exhaustion is like the feeling you have with flu, where everything aches and your arms and legs feel too heavy to move. If your trousers are slightly snug, the pressure on your abdomen causes pain and possibly the need for the loo. I find I have to use the bathroom a lot to urinate, as the pressure on my colon from my bladder causes too much pain. For someone without the condition, it is hard to describe. It may help if you go with him to his appointments, so you can get a better idea of what's happening. The drugs I take to keep my symptoms bearable have thinned my bones and cause joint pains. The medications for the bone loss cause indegestion and bloating. It's a vicious circle that I hope the medical profession can someday cure. Until then, hang in there for him.

I have been contemplating taking anti-depressants or hypnotherapy in order to make life easier for my wife.

Its funny i've been on a lot of these forums, just seeing as i've never wrote on one. i still dont feel like writing as i dont see anyone writing how i feel with chrons and how i feel about dealing with it with life in general. im 20 got dignosed at like 14 or something it actually started at like 8 years old but "everyone thought it was anorexia or bulimia" coz i went to like 3 stone by 14 years old like i dont know what the f**k im doing in the bathroom. (excuse my lang). im naturally a bubbly person but ask me if i want to be here i will flat out tell anyone no i dont ... ive kinda felt like this along time but i dont know if this is chrons, depression, anxiety or a combination ... god knows... when its cold i feel like i cant even move because its just so uncomfortable i can actually throw up from being in the cold too long of course you do get the bellyache at first. to be honest this illness is just exhausting and with life and no where to change things ... money wise.... im playing a losing game... tired at 20 is an understatement sometimes i rather have something else but i know deep down that isnt true i also feel like no one really knows about chrons and in result to that work, friends, family, parents, partner ... everyone i have ever come across never understands how i feel on a daily basis but i cant just keep all of this to myself as if im bothering the lights out of people.i didnt ask for this one bit, i would like to know how it would be on the other foot, most time i just dont say anything

no one ever sees, my emotion but my heads just spinning around i cant believe there isnt a cure it makes me sick to know this is my life for the rest. always feeling abit more seperated than eveyone else coz everything i do effects my bloody system

too crazy if you ask me and i cant be asked for this. im a Taurus Apr- may (star signs) yes i do believe in the traits only, not horoscopes. if theres someone that is in to that then you can sort get the person i am in general.

i dont know what help someone can give me but yh maybe some advice on how to deal with my racing thoughts i dunno.

thanks

I haven't seen any other discussions about it but I have noticed I become really irritable BEFORE I have an episode. It usually starts a few days before I start having any stomach pains or other symptoms.

Last time I started feeling like I had too much caffeine, sort of jumpy and easily startled. I also notice I get hungrier just before. I am wondering if maybe I am beginning to fight off the relapse before it happens and that is making me tired and cranky.