Hello all, I'm new to this website. I was diagnosed with type 1 five years ago. I already have a drivers license but I'm not sure that I can still drive because I'm diabetic. I'm still driving but I wondering about the consequences of an accident and they find out. Should I report my medical condition? I need to drive back and forth to work and of course shopping and if I lose my license I don't know how I would be able to go to work and shop. Are there any precautions I should consider when I'm driving to make me and everyone else on the road safe? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, You don't have to be afraid to drive, just take certain precautions. As far as your license goes, it depends on what state your in. Most people with type 1 and 2 can drive without any problem. As far as what you tell the DVLA is up to you. Some states will ask you if you have a medical condition and others don't. I would say, if they don't ask don't tell. To ease your mind, talk to your doctor about it and see what he/she suggests.

As far as precautions, you need to be concerned about hypos because you could pass out, so be prepared. You want to check BG levels before you drive no matter how short the trip. You might think that, well I'm going to pick up a take out dinner that is 20 minutes away but you end up in a traffic jam (perhaps an accident) and your stuck for 45 minutes. You need to be prepared for the unexpected. Believe me make no exceptions. Carry your meter with you at all times.

If you are on a long trip, you'll want to stop at regular intervals and test even if you think you feel okay.

If you feel like a hypo is coming on, make sure you pull over and test. You should always have some fast-acting source of sugar with you to correct your hypo condition. Make sure you don't run out of fast-acting sugar, so restock often.