How many miles on a bike = 1 running mile?

For the Fall Frolic, they set the bike miles = 1/4 running miles. I guess it varies person to person though. For me, I'm a much better runner than I am a biker. Right now, 12 miles on the bike equates to about 4 miles running. I can run 15 miles, but cannot bike 60. Don't know if that helps you or not.

I would say more about 3 to 1. consider the time it takes to cover the distances on both. For example I can do 15-20 miles in 45 minutes but only run just over 5 at the same time

A few schools of thought on this of course :)

You can go strickly by time to get a ratio. Since running tends to beat you up more then cycling, I go 4 to 1. Even though my time ratio is much closer to 3 to 1. It seems to match level of effort better for me.

An other thing you may want to check out is a calorie counter if you want to tranlate an hour run into an equivilant hour on the bike.

I think what Bob mentions there about the calorie counter is the way to go. For me, it calcs out to a 4:1 ratio and has for a long time. In most running/bicycling circles and other times this kind of question has come up, 4:1 is what I've seen mostly given.

Would 20 minutes of road cycling be the same as 20 minutes of trainer cycling? My trainer rides are always faster than my road rides

Achey = I a firm believer in the 4:1 ratio. Maybe 5:1 if you lived in FL and there weren't any hills.
Personally, if I work at it, I think riding the trainer is tougher than riding outside.