I have a question about dealing with elderly parents-the thing is that I live about 1000miles away from them and am very concerned over their health and am curious what would be the best way dealing with elderly parents. The thing is my dad is almost 80 and suffers from very high hypertension and my mom is diagnosed with Alzheimer's and they live all alone and I can't live normally for I think of them constantly and they keeps refusing to move into my town. Is there anyone there with similar situation to give me some advice about dealing with elderly parents?

I am paying some agency taking daily care of my elderly parents. I am in sort of the same situation and I was having pretty tough situation and sleepless night figuring out how to manage with this dealing with elderly parents situation and this is how I have managed to deal with this-and normally I try to provide them with proper amount of meds and also financial help when it is needed. Anyway this agency help involves taking care of their health, hygiene and home cleaning as well as provide them with essential thing from grocery store and also whenever I have got some time free I am there to visit them and I somehow manage to do it once in a month.

During a family conference, decide who will be the primary caregiver, and what role each member of the family will play in helping care for the aging parent. Everyone in the family, including teenage relatives and younger children, can help care for Grandma or Grandpa by making regular visits, calling on the telephone to chit chat, assisting with household chores, preparing nourishing meals, running errands, shopping for groceries, doing the laundry, supervising medications, trips to the doctor and so on.
Dealing with elderly parents, and the numerous problems that often arise, should not be left entirely to the primary caregiver simply because they are living closer to the parent.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Elsie - your choices are limited - you have to bring your parents to you - or - go to them - or - furnish caregivers - at either end you are going to need caregiver help. Good luck.