My 78 year old husband began to show symptoms of dementia between 2 and 3 years ago.   It accelerated in the last 8-10 months and we were heading for a serious life change.   Then his gp noticed that his calcium levels were high and subsequent testing showed high pth levels.   The gp had dismissed earlier high calcium levels because my husband took a diuretic for hbp.  He took him off the diuretic and the calcium levels and pth levels continued to rise.  Adenoma was identified and removed last week.  Prior to surgery his calcium was nearly 12 and pth 200.   Immediately following the surgery pth dropped to 55 and the obvious signs of dementia disappeared, energy levels and mood rose, and he expressed that he felt "almost normal" for the first time in years.  This lasted for a few days but it is now a week since the surgery and the symptoms of dementia have reappeared as has the fatigue and depression.   I am debating contacting the surgeon immediately but we have follow up in a week so perhaps I should wait until then to see what the blood tests then show.     I don't know if there are consequences to waiting. In the elderly, hyparathyroidism often presents as dementia.   Numerous medical journal articles discuss these cases and report that even if the dementia is advanced, once the calcium levels return to normal, even those in institutions could return to their normal lives.  I was very hopeful of a cure, but now I'm not so sure.   There could be some other cause of the dementia (a brain mri did not show any other cause) but if that were the case, we would likely not have seen any recession of the dementia symptoms at all.    If anyone knows of any other person who has gone through this particular experience, I would certainly like to talk to them or to any scientist of md researching this condition as it relates to dementia

My friend has been having an increasing anxiety for over 5 years. Her calcium level has been slightly elevated. Her heart rate was at 90s while she has been on Calcium channel blocker for years for hypertension. Last winter, she presented a feature of full blown dementia. It was found out that she has diseased parathyroid and was surgically removed last summer. The sad part is that, her normal mental state did not come back...maybe not yet?