I am 29 years old and was diagnosed with hypercalcemia/hyperparathyroidism when I was 20 during routine bloodwork. I am completely asymptomatic... no bone pain, headaches, dizziness, muscle cramps, nothing. My dexascans are above normal for someone my age. I have been to 3 different endocrinologists and have received 5 different answers about what to do. I have been told everything from my organs are going to calcify and I would die in short order if I didn't get surgery, to I am not a candidate for surgery and should do nothing.
I currently am seeing an endocrinologist at the University of Pennsylvania who recommends that I get surgery for the simple fact that I have this disease and am under 50. My serum calcium levels are at the top of or just over normal, PTH normal and urine calcium normal. I just had a sestamibi scan yesterday and will be doing another 24 hour urine calcium/creatinine (after the lab screwed up the results for the one I did a month ago). I do not know the results of my scan yet, and an ultrasound I had was inconclusive.
Is anyone else out there in a similar situation as me? Anyone know of a surgeon who will do the MINI surgery under sedation (like Dr. Norman) in the area?
Thanks in advance for your help!

I tend to agree with the doctor who you talked to about getting surgery, only because you are so young but you were lucky enough to find out about it to be able to do something about it. I think that if you're really concerned about it (and it sounds like you are) that you should talk to someone after your new lab scan. Can you keep us posted on the results of that? Thanks!

I will update once I've had my appt with my doctor at the end of July. I do not know the results of my scan yet.