I have to get my parathyroid glad removed and am looking for a Dr in the New York City Area??
ANYONE Please recommend an experience Dr. Trying not to take a trip to Tampa Florida. After searching online - all I come up with is Dr James Norman. I am sure he is good Dr, but a little far for me.

I had a sonogram and it come up negative.
I had a Stromboli scan and it also came up negative.
I had a cat scan with contrast and it localize my bad glad( at least that's what I was told)

Any Info would Appreciated

Hi Iceman,

I talked with someone who had surgery with Dr Fahey in NY and was pleased with the surgery. I don't know where he is but maybe you can do a search. I would talk with any surgeon first and be sure I felt really confident and comfortable. Be sure you get all your questions answered. Good luck, mass

Thanks mass- I will check it out. I am a little freaked out because, I Never had surgery before. Never even broke a bone.

Iceman - no need to worry. The surgery is not difficult for the patient. Just be sure you have a surgeon with lots of parathyroid experience. With the minimally invasive type, the scar is only about an inch.

My surgery was more extensive as it involved removing half the thyroid and a large nodule so required general anesthesia. I didn't need the pain meds and we did some easy sight-seeing on the second day.

Some other things to look for are the use of the radio probe if the adenoma isn't obvious, and intraoperative PTH testing so they can tell if they have removed all the problem glands. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Best wishes mass

Thanks For info...I got an appointment in a few days with a Dr Randall P Owen out of Mt Sinai Hospital in New York City. He seems to fit the bill according to online research, but will know more after we meet and speak.

Sounds good. I suggest that you write down all your questions before you go so you don't forget any. mass

So, I went to see Dr Owen in NYC and he seemed to know what he was doing. The question I have is that he does the surgery the intraoperative PTH monitoring way. What is the difference and which is better radio probe or intraoperative PTH monitoring. All the test I did over the past 5 years came up negative until I had a Cat Scan with Contrast done and it localized. The showed that my upper right glad needs to come out.

Iceman,

If they know where the adenoma is, the radio probe isn't necessary. It is used to find the gland that is overproducing PTH. Most surgeons who use it only use it when they don't know where the adenoma is. The intraoperative PTH testing is a good thing. If the PTH goes down following the removal of the adenoma, the surgeon will know that he doesn't need to look for another adenoma.

It sounds like you have found a good surgeon. -mass-

A member of this site was nice enough to recommend a Dr Heller at NYU. I am going to see him and then decide out of the two DR's which one to go with. The thing that freaks me out the most is the scar that the surgery will leave. Does it really go away in time?

The scar won't go away but it isn't very noticeable. If you have the minimally invasive surgery the scar will probably be about an inch long. Other people have to make a point of looking to find mine. The surgery and healing is really pretty easy. Not much discomfort.

Thanks mass....you put my mind at ease a little

hi iceman,

i have to get the same procedure: i'm curious how things turned out for you? i am in brooklyn, i hear there is a great program at Presbytarian but they don't take my insurance. So just starting to explore my options.

hope you are doing well!

Had my surgery done by Dr Owen at Mount Sinai in NYC. He is the real deal and has done over 500 of these operations. He is kind and understanding. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

I'm hoping to find a qualified surgeon in Texas with plenty of experience. Any suggestions?

Hello. I am trying to decide if I should use doctor Owen to remove my thyroid. Can you please tell me how it all went and how you feel today