Hello. I'm 20 year old male and I would like to find more about the specific skin condition I have developed. To be honest with you, I don’t know did I develop this condition lately or maybe I have all my life.
I have noticed earlier that my skin is very sensitive.
You wouldn’t believe it but- when I even scratch my self a bit harder-I immediately experience a linear, itchy and red hive which lasts sometimes several hours. I have never thought about this a lot but I know that this condition is called dermographism and that many people are having it.
Could anybody tell me anything about this?

Hi. I'm very glad that someone posted about this problem.
For a long time I thought that I was alone with this problem but just recently I have met several people with the same problem and I found out some information.
Like you said- the condition is called dermographism and it is a common form of chronic hives. There are some typical signs of this disorder. People with dermographism experience a linear, itchy hive within minutes of stroking the skin with a physical object. It could be scratch, or any other type of physical contact.
The exact mechanism of dermographism remains uncertain. I have read somewhere that contact may release an antigen that interacts with the immunoglobulin E, which release inflammatory mediators, particularly histamine, into the tissues. This often requires no treatment but H1 antihistamines are the drugs of choice.

%-) I was diagnosed with this skin disorder also and my doctor said that it was brought on by an infection in my body. When he looked through my file history he noticed that I had Broncitis three times in on year. he said that is probably what had triggered it. He said there was no known cure for it and that I could take Zantac 150 mgs and an allergy pill at 10mgs and I just buy the equate from Wal-mart. It really helps the simptoms but I have to take them every day once a day. I did ask him however if I take these everyday if there would be any long term effect. He said no. So I would like to think that being a doctor he knows what hes talking about. I have went under numeras websites for this and some people have said that they have had for a couple of months some for many years . The doctor said that he obviously couldnt tell me how long this would last. Really depressing huh? But if we keep nagging the doctors then maybe they will do more research.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I have suffered from Urticaria for about 10 years. I am 39. Any change in body temperature would bring me out in an itch. Swimming, heat, cold showers, even losing my temper would bring on mad itching. Living on the Mediterranean island of Malta means hot weather and beach life. Not easy to avoid the triggers.

My Doctor prescribed Atarax (which makes me sleepy) and then I discovered Telfast (which does not) and I have been taking both on a regular basis since. Sometimes I would not need either for weeks then would need to take one or the other every day for weeks at a time. Atarax at night gives a good night's sleep. Telfast is better for during the day.

Suddenly out of the blue, around 2 months ago, not only was I itching more than usual, even when calmly sitting in my office but my skin started coming out in red, raised, welts simply by resting my arm on a chair or car window. Even my sandal straps leave marks on my feet. I don't always itch but even lying on a towel will leave marks on my back. I found out all about Dermographism. Walking on the beach is a nightmare! I look like I've been whipped or something. Thank goodness it fades within 20-30 minutes. I had not had this problem previously.
Explaining this condition to friends and strangers alike is becoming tedious though the name writing on my skin has become self explanatory!

I decided to take matters in my own hands and embark on a little research of my own to see if I could find alternative or natural antihistamines. I know antihistamines are not addictive but if this is going to last indefinitely I'd rather try out natural remedies.

I am now taking 30ml of Noni Juice every morning. 2000mg a day of soluble Vitamin C, 400mg Quercetin capsules and 500g Rutin supplements. All of which are natural anti-oxidant bioflavonoids (anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-cancer activity - which inhibit both the production and release of histamine and other allergic/inflammatory mediators)

I've been on the Noni Juice and Vitamin C for about 2 weeks. I had to order the other supplements from a website as my local pharmacy had not heard of them. They arrived 3 days ago and I am taking them too. I am not itching as often as I had been. Welts still appear but fade alot quicker.
My reasoning is that if I can bombard my system with all these known histamine inhibitors, maybe I can beat this thing!

Thanks for the opportunity of sharing my story

Hi everyone,

Here is some stats about me and my treatments:
- Male. Age: 24. Suffered for 4 years. Mild Dermographism.
- Tried Dr. Shah's Homeophathic meds for 7 months: did not work

The thing with homeophathic meds is that the doc always says it takes long time. First he said 6 months. After that he said 9 months - 1 year. I lost trust in him because he kept contradicting what he said. So I stopped.

- Tried acupuncture for 9 sessions: did not work

Same untrustworthy kind of doctor. First, he said improvement after 4 sessions. Then, 10 sessions. No improvement at all.

For me, if a doctor says 2 different things at different times. I stop seeing him right away. That's a sign he doesn't know what he's doing.

My daughter is 33 months old and started suffering from a form of this at 28 months old...out of the blue. As a nurse, myself, I tried to rule out many things during the first month. After that, we saw our pediatrician who said it was probably set off by a virus and would run it's course in 1-2 months. After 3 months of Zyrtec and 1 week of Prednisone--no improvement was seen. The allergist switched us to Periactin syrup-no help. Next we tried Atarax and Singulair combo--no help. Now we have started Atarax and Clarinex. We will see what happens. They say her reactions in relation to her young age, are quite severe and the medications that can be used on her at 2 are limited as well. The only good thing is that she DOESN"T itch. She just looks like she has been getting daily doses of beatings due to the number of welts and hives that she develops. They go away within 10-15 minutes, but they look horrible. I had to document with photos (and I have many of them) and lenghy discussions with the specialist about this. It is hard to take her to a child care facility and explain her circumstances without getting funny looks. It is also hard to say "it's not contagious" when we weren't given a diagnosis for several months. I haven't noticed a difference with temperature changes.
We have had allergy testing done (though I knew that wouldn't tell us anything because she even reacted to the marker that they used to separate the allergy sections). Multiple blood draws have all come back normal as well.
I DO hope she grows out of this. It has been 6 very long months!

hi i am a 39 yr old women and i have had demagraphism for a number
of yrs.im on antihistimine tablets all they time. i was on telfast for a
number of yrs and it started to settle down so i cut down on them and
then my demathologist put me on different ones. his answer to it was
i could have it for 1,2,3 yrs or all my life he did'nt no. so really i find they
are not much good. i also cut out things certain foods out of my diet
cple yrs ago and i think that it helped me. but xmas 07 i suddenly got
bad with it again and i dont no why but it was worse then ever, i even had
chest pains which was severe, it was as it i was burning from the inside
out. my doctor had put me on steroids and stronger antihismines to try
and settle it down. the steroids helped but its still bad. like everyone i hate
bn out in town or somewhere and im in a queue and suddenly tip maybe
off my face and i start to feel it burn and itch and i feel so embarrased.
i was so bad one night with my chest and my whole body and i driving
from town i had to get my daughter to drive home and bring me straight
to my doctor. i was covered in welts all over and itchin and burning. has
this chest pains ever happened to anyone else. i also found that if i was
after been out at nite havin a few drinks that the following morning it
wld be terrible so i no alcohol effects it in some way and i feel it has
a lot to do with allergys and what we may be eating and drinking. so i am def going to look into alternative ways of trying to deal with it. i find drs
dont take this condition seriously enough.

I'm 47 and have been diagnosed with Dermographism. I've had it for 1.5 yrs. It started with itchy palms & soles of my feet.. drove me crazy & went away.. it came back all over & I've tried all hypo-allergenic products, No changes. Allergist did testing (blood work as skin was too reactive) results were not conclusive. I have used Zyrtec, flonase, allegra and XYZal ...Zyrtec made me gain weight, Allegra didn't work as well and XYZal made me gain weight and lose my hair in clumps. (Note: not everyone will have these reactions so don't be afraid to try them!)
The flonase is for Nasal polyps, but he feels it helps my allergies. Zyrtec worked best on itching, weight gain I could not live with. I am on Flonase (Twice/ day)& allegra (Once/ day) w/ use of Benedryl when needed or I'll take one zyrtec occasionally.
If you search URTICARIA or Chronic Hives you'll find a listing of foods that release histamine. I can't eat many of those foods already. I'm going to follow this diet (google histamine-restricted diet) and see if this will work.
Dr. said there is no way to know if or when this will stop. I've read info that showed infections may trigger dermographism, urticaria, ... Infections such as sinus infection, bronchitis, etc.
Keep records of your infections, diet, and drugs to see what works best for you.

I've had this skin condition for over 20 years. ASPARTAME was and is a major trigger for me. Aspartame is in diet soda and tons of low-sugar/diet foods and drinks. No doctor ever discovered this link - I did.

Hi cherylfree. Thanks for the info - after ready about ASPARTAME, im going to be very careful on choosing what type of food/drinks to buy. I have read about BIOFLAVANOID that help to ease the itch.. I am taking it now -every nite. So far so good but i think the progress will take time. During that 20 years, what have u take to stop it?

HELLO!! FOLKS FINALLY A SOLUTION FOR A ALLERGY THAT WILL BE WITH YOU FOR MORE THAN A DECADE.."NO!! CAN CURE IT YOUR SELF" HERE'S HOW...

After struggling for a cure for this particular and very peculiar skin allergy I consulted the best of the doctors for a remedy but the only answer I would get is, we need to test your blood, urine, blah, blah, blah.

Then I consulted another skin specialist who said "Lab test will cost you a lot of money let me prescribe you some medicine and let’s see how good your situation will be, cause we cannot cure this allergy in a day or two but if these medicines work then you will need to continue taking these pill for more than a couple of years"

Which I did follow the advice for my benefit, But the pills were of heavy dose and I would get a massive head ache for at least 6 hours from morning to noon these were the know side effects forget about the unknown ones but I still continued but no respite from the pills either, this was affecting my work too then one fine day I started browsing the internet for answers and I was shocked to see the fact especially help section on dermographism in this web site that there are a lot of people suffering from this chronic itch from 20 long years, for example and still looking forward to take pill. I don’t know when it will end for me that’s what I was thinking back of my mind until I saw a particular message that says

"causes for dermographism" There was a list of food items and medicines that can cause all this starting from antibiotic medicine for ear infection and pain killer like aspirin etc and foods like sugar, wheat, bread, alcohol, pickle, honey, fruits etc.. This shows that either your allergy is caused due to sugary food or sweets, sweets fruits, honey, chocolates; avoid them. Bread, alcohol, anything that is fermented cause it has yeast which is a good bacteria for humans but the antibodies in your body are either not resistant to them or they are dead. All milk products these also has lot of good bacteria that is good if consumed but your body is rejecting them and thus all the itch and allergy so try to avoid all these foods for a couple of days and eat anything apart from them like cooked rice but not fermented ones and avoid eating sugar right from morning in your coffee, tea, milk etc, then your breakfast could ideally be corn flakes and lunch could contain barley, corn, leafy vegetables etc.

This is what I did finally I tried eating the one which I should not like wheat, bread, milk, one by one on a daily basic until I came till sugar yes this was the culprit for me. on a sunny afternoon after traveling for about 1 1/2 hour ride to remote place I was offered coke and I could not resist and within minutes I got the disgusting itch back on my body and I concluded the study as sugar is the main reason for the problem. Today I eat every thing except my medicines and sugar. yes you need to give up all these at least for some time else you will end up looking like a pink baboon which i was and u might be after itching all over your body.

Take this advise as second had experience if you are also allergic to sugar than don’t consume any ,for minimum 6 months and try again and the same for any other foods also and try not to take any medicine prescribed for dermographism by doing this you will be improving your natural immune system and back to normal. I know it is very easy to advise someone and difficult to follow but this procedure will not only help you to be independent away from allopathic medicine which is sometime too much is too bad and can lead to unknown side effects which any will cause another two or three side effects sounds like a chain reaction but this is the hard fact of today’s modern world and there's much to be done to educate people. If you look back to history and see how our ancestors were able to cope up with all these kind of diseases the answer is natural medicine which is 100% accurate and 100% no side effects but in fact they act as a good immune builder not as a destroyer which is what we have excepted in our modern day life which a busy and end up paying our hard earned money into the doctors pocket...

So I wish you all the best and I am open for feedback and you can mail me at

_[removed]_
_[removed]_
91-9880162558
0-9880162558
Take care,
Ravi

Take this advise as second had experience if you are also allergic to sugar than don’t consume any ,for minimum 6 months and try again and the same for any other foods also and try not to take any medicine prescribed for dermographism by doing this you will be improving your natural immune system and back to normal.

know it is very easy to advise someone and difficult to follow but this procedure will not only help you to be independent away from allopathic medicine which is sometime too much is too bad and can lead to unknown side effects which any will cause another two or three side effects sounds like a chain reaction but this is the hard fact of today’s modern world and there's much to be done to educate people. If you look back to history and see how our ancestors were able to cope up with all these kind of diseases the answer is natural medicine which is 100% accurate and 100% no side effects but in fact they act as a good immune builder not as a destroyer which is what we have excepted in our modern day life which a busy and end up paying our hard earned money into the doctors pocket...
So I wish you all the best and I am open for feedback

Take care,
Ravi

**edited by moderator**

Ravisgoyal gmail
ravi_s_goyal rediffmaill
91-0-9880162558
0-9880162558
Take care,
Ravi

This is the first time that im actually researching for this allergy cause i forgot the name and well googled it and finnally found other people who r as well suffering from this. U r the first person to say about the cure but i think i will take a try it will take some time i guess. My diet varies so i wouldnt know were to start. Last time i consulted a doctor about this was at the dermatologist and she gave me no hope but to just take zyrtec wich i have been taken it for years and it doesnt do much like right now im itching soo bad and i took the pill today. I have been suffering with this for 7 years my god time flies !! but it is embarrasing and annoying. I have not seen a doctor only that one time with the dermatologist because she gave me no hope and i have never heard of anyone else haveing this condition until today when i googled it . Well I do want to thank u for posting this and i will give it a try its better than nothing.

omg... I have had this condition for 3 years and have done tons of research on it. I have been taking Zyrtec every day which helps stop the itching. I also discovered on my own, that aspartame may have triggered this condition for me. It has now been almost a week with no aspartame or Zyrtec and i have been relatively itch-free. could you please tell me if your symptoms went away. I am cautiously optimistic that I may rid myself of this terrible condition.