Hi, I’m 32 and diabetic type 2 for 3 years. My problem started three months ago when I got pregnant. I stopped the Cidovage from the very beginning of the pregnancy but as my blood sugar was raising, I went to doc who prescribed me insulin. He also told me I should be between 100 and 150 and if I come to 230 or even higher I should take immediately 4 units. I was doing al this all time, but during 12th week bleeding started and I had to take surgery of miscarriage ... I would really like to get pregnant and have babies in the future so I need to know everything about the relation between diabetes and pregnancy. Some of my friends told me that exceed dosages of insulin could have been the cause for my miscarriage but my doc said it was safe to take it… I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

First, my sympathies on the misscarriage. I’m not sure why you are not on glucophage – that is a pill for the diabetes and is very safe for pregnancy. Also, I assure you that Insulin is also safe for a pregnancy and your doc was right about it. But, the thing is that during pregnancy it is extremely important very tightly control your blood sugar level. If you don’t control it well, both of you can die. So, before your next pregnancy, you must learn how to control your blood sugar. Just then you’ll be able to safely deliver. Yes, one more thing - Lantus is not approved for pregnancy while Humlin is. Hope this helps. Good luck.