My brother was diagnosed with Bacillary dysentery two days ago. He is 29 and was always healthy. I would appreciate if someone could give me more information about it. Thanks

Bacillary dysentery is an infectious disease of the intestinal tract caused by bacteria of the genus Shigella. It is spread by contact with a patients or carriers or though food or water contaminated by their feces. In most cases it occurs in summer and fall and clinically it can be divided into acute and chronic types. Acute bacillary dysentery has following symptoms: fever, abdominal pain, diarrhea, tenesmus and bloody purulent stools. Symptoms of chronic bacillary dysentery are: recurrent or persistent abdominal pain, accompanied with diarrhea, alternation of diarrhea and constipation can also be present. Another sign is intermittent appearance of mucopurulent and blood-stained stools. Bacillary dysentery, specially in chronic cases is successfully treated by TCM’s treatment approach. I hope that this information will be helpful.