I really need some help with a diagnosis for my poor husband!! He gets these sudden attacks of severe abdominal pain and vomiting, that just seem to come out of nowhere. Sometimes with hot/cold sweats as well and twice he had black/sticky stools, once there was blood in the vomit. He also seems to be really confused/out of it sometimes when its happening but that may be the painkillers they keep giving him. It has been recurring about 5 or 6 times for about 5 months now and the doctors just can’t figure out anything and keep sending us away and tell us to come back to hospital next time it happens again!

We go to the emergency room and they just give him morphine for the pain (he seems to need at least 10mg to relieve it at all) and maxalon, they also tried buscopan and heaps of other c**p but nothing works. We have done CT scans, xrays, etc they keep checking for appendicitis, gallstones, and never find anything. He always has a high white blood cell count too (16 last time, can’t remember the other times). He was admitted for 4 days once and they thought maybe he had ulcers so they did an endoscopy which found nothing (and also made him violently ill again due to the anaesthetic). He is still taking nexium for the ulcers but has been taking it for 5 months now and had 4 more attacks since then.

These attacks/symptoms sometimes disappear as suddenly as they come on – most recently was last night, he got sick about 4:30/5pm quite suddenly, I took him back to the hospital at 6pm and by 10:30pm, he just suddenly got better – they gave him so many pain killers during the first 2 hours he was there and nothing worked, they would not give him anymore as they said he would have to go on a respirator if they did! 2.5 hrs later the symptoms just disappeared! This has happened several times for varying lengths of time, sometimes he feels better only for a day or two, sometimes 2 or 3 months he is fine and then its back and we go through all the same tests all over again… has anyone had anything similar??? We are so desperate to find out what is wrong 

My son has had the exact same symptoms for 12 years now. Severe central abdominal pain around his belly button area. Vomiting bile for hours. Visits to ER result in same treatment. 10mg morphine for pain, something to stop the vomiting . Always comment on raised white blood cell count. he has been in 4 times this week. He has had all tests, endoscope, CT scan, MRI scan and a fasting stomach enzyme test. he is waiting to see gastroentorology consultant but ned answers fast. Can you help

Would be grateful if you would update post and advise if any diagnosis given.

Sounds like porphyria to me... I'm NOT a professional, but I've been experiencing chronic abdominal pain for the past year and have literally studied every condition that could be a possibility.

I would raise this diagnosis to a medical professional!

Best of Luck!

My Husband has had several random bouts of diarrhea and vomiting... usually at 4 am... so far we've cut out all gluten and keeping our fingers crossed and prayers said, he's been doing really well!!!

I was sorry to read of your husband's illness with recurring abdominal pain. My daughter appears to have exactly the same symptoms.l Beginning about 6 months ago she has these sudden attacks that appear to come from nowhere. The pain is very severe with vomiting and associated distress. Pain killers bring only limited relief and the symptoms disappear after about 6 to 10 hours.

If you have had any success in discovering the cause of your husband's illness I would be very glad to hear about this.

Best wishes

Had many of the same problems, doctors tried to diagnose with several different diseases....wrong!!!!!!! What he may have is very rare, trust me I know, have the same problems. I went to the Cleveland Clinic and was diagnosed with familial medeteranian fever. Two pills of colchicine commonly used to treat gout. I live pain free with little or no attacks anymore. Any questions contact me @ ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Had exactly the same symptoms on and off for 3 years. Plenty of tests but no results. After severe vomiting the pain would just go as quickly as it came - usually after 16 hours from the start. Felt as if some form of severe colic or spasm. However, have not had an attack for nearly ten years - fingers crossed.

Dear Friends,

I believe that I have found the cause of the severe abdominal pain and related symptoms experienced by my daughter and also described by a few other people in this correspondence.

Please check out "abdominal migraine".  Strange as it may seem, this is a well-known condition where the pain of the migraine is experienced in the abdomen rather than as a headache. It seems that the problem can be treated in the same way as an ordinary migraine (e.g. valproaic acid/ Depakine) is a possibility - plus other things such as avoiding certain foods known to increase the frequency of migraine attacks.  People with abdominal migraine often also suffer from the ordinary form of migraine and/or they have relatives who suffer from the conventional type of migraine.

I hope this may help some of those who are suffering from this awful recurring problem.

Best wishes,

David Robinson

I have had exactly the same symptoms and the same tests for the last 8years. The good news is if it was life-threatening i think i'd be dead by now. I have been diagnosed with so many illnesses that its became a joke, all wrong so far, ibs, diverticulitis,appendicitis which i had to beg them not to remove! and i was right. i am currently diagnosed with abdominal migraine and or intestinal blockage, for this i take anxiety medicine which i thought was working, hadn't had a attack for 2 months. ask your doctor for "matrifen" for the pain, its a morphine based patch that works like a nicorette patch for smokers. it has made my life a lot easier, that along with a anti sickness drug that is placed under the lip. though not a cure they give me the advantage of treating myself and not rushing to hospital. good luck, and don't give up hope

i have been diagnosed with the sane illness but the nortriptylie i was prescribed is not helping can anybody help

Dear Brock,

There have been new dwevelopments since I wrote the message you quoted.

While I believe that 'abdominal migraine' may cause the recurring abdominal pain in some cases it has turned out that this was not my daughter's problem.

Despite the fact that she had been to see different Doctors - and even had emergency visits at home - over a period of more than a year - none of them diagnosed 'appendicitis'.

Appendicitis could account for her symptoms but it seems that the non-invasive examinations carried out by the various Doctors convinced them that this was not the problem.

Finally, after a year of having really awful attacks lkasting for about 10 hours and recurring every 4 to 8 weeks she had a very severe attack that lasted longer and she had to be hospitalized.

Tests carried out in the hospital indicated an iunflamed appendix. They took it out and thankfully she has had no attacks during the past 9 months or so.

I hope this helps.

David Robinson

dear david, thanks for your reply its so good to finely speak to people with similar problems. and very happy to hear that your daughter's problem has now gone. all the best brock

Thanks Brock,

Anyone with this problem has my greatest sympathy. I hope you find an answer.

Best wishes.

David Robinson

You can check and see if he has gastritis