I am wondering if anyone out there has come up with a better diagnosis than IBS for abdominal pain and chronic diarhhea, or it's all in our heads, or better yet it's caused by stress or a food factor? I have had right side abdomenal pain since I had my gallbladder out in 93 which within the week of having it removed I ended up back in the same surgeons office with the same pain as I had before it was removed. He told me it was food related and narrowed it down to apples. Now it's don't eat gluten, lactose intolerance, find a stress reliever, etc., or find a good psychiatrist. I continue to have this pain and it is now 2007, only the symptoms are far worse and more severe, the pain is intolerable at times, fevers, chills, pelvic pain, horrendous gas, rumbling noises in my stomach that you can hear and it's stritcly located in the right side of the abdomen approximately an inch under the rib and approx. 6-8 inches across from the belly button, consistent dizzy spells and was diagnosed with anemia for over two years with no known cause. You can hear the water going through my intestines before I have my many bouts of diarhhea which is probably the better part of my everyday life. There is a spot that you can feel where the pain is and it feels like a bulge and when you touch that area the pain is unbearable! My stools consist of watery light yellow or there have been times the bowl is full of blood but my current doc doesn't seem to be alarmed by this, just put out that I call her occasionally wondering why i'm bleeding but she doesn't seem to care but who can afford all these docs with little or no answers?? I have come to realize this is how my life is and has been since I had my gallbladder out in 93. I also suffer from breast pain, pelvic pain, lower back pain radiating right in the kidney area, fever, chills to the point where I have to add clothing to feel warm. The pain feels like someone is either stabbing me in the side with a small knife or it's an intense pinching when I turn or move a certain way. The pain used to be intermittent but now it's 100% constantly there. I tend to lose huge amounts of weight in a short amount of time only to gain it back when I can tolerate eating that I have now basically taken to eating jello at work and drink nothing but water. I also have had every test out there you could possibly have from the cardio docs to the gastro docs and the family physicians, I've been to the ER so often with intense pain I should own about all of them from the bills I have had to pay and are paying now. I was just at the docs in March and yet again nothing stands out in any of the docs minds other than IBS. I'm so tired of hearing IBS, IBS, IBS. They shake their head and say some people have unexpained pain and we don't know why; I was told that by an ER doc, was drugged up with pain meds that I had a severe reaction to and stopped breathing when i got home but they said at the ER it wasn't anything they did; sure. I don't sleep, I'm the biggest insomniac you will ever meet!! Does ANYONE have any other ideas other than IBS for these symptoms or any ideas on how you make your pain go away??? Sorry this was so long, it just drives me crazy that ALL these people share this similar pain and/or symptoms but we get little or no answers and we slowly lose our minds putting up with the same pain and recurring symptoms that become unfortunately a way of life, ok maybe that's how I feel about me! There are no more tests, I've had them all!!!!! In closing, good luck to all the sufferers and I hope someday you will be blessed with the right answers and your way of life slowly improves but until then don't give up hope!!! Maybe the answers will be there someday!!

I am no doctor, and I'm sorry that you have to live with this taking over your life. I know you have heard IBS, but it's possible that you do have some form of it or colititis. When you first had pain they removed your gallbladder. The pain generally never went away and now it is worse.
Your body is under a tremendous amount of stress. Also, your mind is under stress from being in pain and mostly fear. It is very frightening to be in pain and not know whats causing it. The more anxiety you have over this, the more stomach problems you will have. I suffered from anxiety and it did a number on my stomach. I was so afraid of being sick that it put a fear in me and I just got sicker. Milk products are also a big alergen and so is believe it or not fresh garlic. My sister suffered for years not knowing what caused all her diarhea. Weight loss and gain etc. Just eat small bland meals, find relaxation tecniques and maybe go on an anti anxiety medication for a little while to see if that helps you. It helped me and now I am off of it and doing better. I was on the lowest dosage of Xanex for 6 months. I got my self busy with a little office job and found ways to deal with the stess of being sick and the stress in my life. Stess can destroy your immune system and cause stomach distress like you wouldn't believe. Hope you fell bett4er soon.

I read your post and felt like I was reading about myself. I too have had the same symptoms, with a few exceptions and additions. For instance, my gallbladder was removed in 97. I feel prematurely. It was removed because it was not functioning properly, and not due to gall stones. The bile was not being released, this was found after an Ultra sound with CCK study was performed. Since then, I still continue to have a relapse of the same syptoms that prompted me to have my gallbladder removed in the first place. Of course all this occured right after I gave birth to my son in 96. I have given birth 2 more times since, with the last being in 2002. I have had other issues over the years that has prompted several surguries for ovarian cysts drainage and removal, and then decided to have a tubal ligation with endometrial ablation in 05. During the past 10 years I continue to be symptomatic having test, after test for pain on my right side. There have been many little findings, but not enough evidence to come up with a formal diagnosis, other than doctors saying well it seems like IBS, and another saying no irritable colitis, another testing for lupos(which in my test revealed titors for it but in a further DNA test to confirm, the levels where not high enough), advised I had had pancreatitis somewhere along the way, because there was scar tissue and a small cyst(at the time this occured I hadn't had any alcohol in over a year,so the doctor says I need to lay off the alcohol...haha). I have been screened and showed elevated lyme levels in my system, but again not enough to say it is lyme disease, according to an infectious disese doc. I have seen a cardiologist, because my heart rate was elevated, had palpatations, but my blood pressure low. After tests with him it showed a possible mild blockage in the right atrium, with mild mitral valve regurge. Only for the cath to reveal my heart was fine(which was good news), but again a dead end for me. I have been to a Rheumatologist, she couldn't find any significant findings so came up with the possibility of Chronic fatigue syndrome. My symptoms recently seem to get worse, and worse. I recently spent 3 days in the hospital, which started out with chest pain, which revealed nothing except the mild mitral valve reguge. Then while I was in the hospital the chest pain went to abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and extremely low blood pressure. They released me and said it was a viral infection,to stay on a BRAT diet and sent me on my way. Only for me to return 2 weeks later to the ER, I was rushed from work with severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and fever. This time my cbc showed white count elevation, but my bilirubin, amalaise/lipase all WNL(within normal limits). The only other light issue that showed up was a few small cysts in my liver, but they stated thats not abnormal. When I left there they stated it was a bacterial intestinal infection, sent me home with antibiotics. I got worse, finally got in to see a doctor(PCP) who stated it could be C-diff(a bacteria that lives in your stomach), due to over use of antibiotics. At this point I was so week, dehydrated, hurting all over, but still primarilly complained of the right sided pain(described the same way as yours), with diarrhea. After a 14 day treatment of a specific antibiotic to treat this bacteria, I feel a little better. The diarrhea is not as bad, but still have episodes. My weight fluctuates from loss to gain. I eat very small meals, but get very hungry at times only when I start eating I get a fullness feeling very quickly, and then within a few miutes to up to an hour get right sided pain, and intermitten episodes of diarrhea. I there is no diarrhea then I just feel pain and bloating. I get pain in my shin area(just throbs), wrist joints, a constant pinching to sharp mid right sided radiating to my flank area pain, occasionally pain under my right shoulder blade, no fever, my arms at night when sleeping sometimes goes numb on me, headaches, occasional vertigo..etc. You start to feel like it's all in your head. I've tried anxiety meds, anticolerginics(for intestinal spasm i get before the diarrhea comes on), reflux meds without syptoms of heartburn(which also after having endoscopes, reveals no sign of reflux), diet(eliminating certain foods), all types of things over the years. Only to feel the worst I ever have. I have always been a very inergetic, athletic, outgoing type, but in the past 2 years, that has decreased. I tend to have debilitating fatigue and pain, that when I try to excersice or get out and play with my kids within a short time of doing so, I am wiped out the rest of the day. My job is very strength and endurance based. Which I absolutely love to do, and yet hate the fact that this "what ever it is" may seem to get the better of me. And may have to someday give up this job I love and look forward to doing everyday. For a while previous to my recent hospital and ER stent, had given up on all these constant dead end doctors visits, and just decided I had to live with the pain, diarrhea, and fatigue. Due to this recent episode I was forced to seek medical help, again. So I decided to give it another shot with the docs. Only to be going down a dead end road. My most recent discouragement came from a GI doc, I had read about a dysfunction on the internet that sounded and awful lot like the main symptoms I feel, it's called Spincter of Oddi dysfunction. When I mentioned it, the doc says he doesn't feel like I have that. Even though he also admitted that he is not well versed in this subject or type of testing proceedure needed to perform to confirm or deny this problem. I have had friends mention Celiac disease, or food allergies to gluten. But how can I continue to go to these doctors, when I get responses like "oh, you're a healthy young girl, that these episodes of diarrhea are not uncommon with ladies your age"(I will be 35 next month), and the best one of all is..."just make sure that when you eat that you are near a bathroom, if that sudden explosive urge of diarrhea hits you". My mind wants me to get out and be active, but my body seems to not want to cooperate. My heart gives me hope and drive to keep moving a head, that someday I will have certain confirmed answers and possible traement to all this pain and misery. Through it all I feel I try to stay possitive and try to laugh, to see the bright side. But yet there are days this pain, fatigue, irritability, anger, and dispair gets the better of me. I don't feel depressed or anxious, just discouraged. To be honest I think the only thing that gets me to try and push through all these symptoms is my kids. I want to spend as much time with them out of bed than in it...but honestly lately it's been very hard. And not only do I suffer, but so are they to see me go from the active, outgoing Mommy I once was, to what I am now...In miserable pain. I know this is quite lengthy, but if anyone out there has any ideas please HELP!!!(I do want to also add over the past 10 years, I also tried Homeopatic therapies, only to do good for a while and just have the problems sneak up and attack out of no where again). Thanks

Have you had a liver function test?

Your symptoms sound like LYME disease to me. I have it and went to 14 DR.s before I finally found a lyme dr.
Mine started in my bladder,, pain, peeing straight blood.then the pains all over, dizziness.. no balance.. heart jolts, brain jolts, arthitis feelings in all joints.. started having foot dropsey and dragging my let, then completely paralized..
when you said you got on antibiotics and was worse.. I thought right away about the herxheimer effects.. when you have lyme and take antibiotics the lyme die off in your blood makes you feel wayyyyyyyyyyyyy worse. for a few weeks.. but then you stay on them and you feel better.
Dr. Zhang in NY.. herbs.. will help you if it's lyme.
Please get your blood checked by IgeneX in Palo Alto ca.
Your doctor needs to send your blood there.. full panel for 600 bucks.. it's worth it to start taking action if that is what you have.
good luck,
Ad

Have any of you noticed a particular time that your pain and symptoms get worse or lessen at certain times? Mine is pretty much constant anymore. Chocolate or any form of it makes my side pain go into overtime, and any type of soda (pop) makes me run to the bathroom before I'm even done drinking it!! I just want to know at what point they will come up with an answer and stop saying it's IBS or the docs saying well we know you have the pain, we just cannot figure out why or we cannot do anything else for you, basically live with it! I would just like some type of answer and some type of relief!!! Take care and good luck!!

Hi there, wow, I have read on the internet about lyme disease. 14 drs??? That's ridiculous to have to go through that. No I haven't had a liver function test, have read about them on the internet as well, but I did have an ultrasound on my liver, cost quite a chunk of change for a 7 minute test and it came out normal. My doc seems to think my pain and symptoms are inconclusive and doesn't seem to think that any of them are that severe to order any type of tests. She came highly recommended but I don't like her. I am now at my wits end because the pain is a constant battle and honestly I think it is starting to ruin my marriage because my hubby just doesn't realize what this pain is like. I basically live on vicodin everyday but my last prescrip. is running out. Oh don't worry, I'm not addicted like you might think or hear that happening to people. It is the only thing that lessons the pain but let me tell you it's still there even if I take two at a time. I still get very little or no sleep, the dizzy spells have taken over but I think that's from no sleep sometimes, and the pain when it's not in my side travels to my right flank, arms go numb at night, these are the same symptoms, but the part that really scared me the other evening was, and it was ironic when it happened, but I hadn't felt good in the last few days, anyway, I was reading the answers to my post and my left arm went numb, my heart starting racing and I thought I was going to throw up right on the computer, I honestly thought I was having a heart attack at that particular moment!! I didn't know what to do and I yelled for my hubby. He grabbed his mom's pressure cuff but my pressure was low as well. That I don't understand. That was this past Sunday. My pain has not lessened at all, sometimes it's raging and I don't know what to do for it. I have limited my diet to water, jello, crackers, and Monday night I had so much pain I didn't even eat. Sometimes it feels like it's in my liver, my sister in law said it might be pancreatitis but she wasn't certain, she's been a nurse for years. My other sister in law thinks I'm crazy, that I manifested this pain in my brain, she's a nurse too. This (gallbladder removal) pain started 6 months after my son was born, (in 93), sure, I made all of this up. I didn't even know her then. I also have the ocassional bought of blood in the stool but my crazy doc that I am still paying has done no tests at all regarding that. I'm drowning in doctor debt!! I can't afford more tests that will yet again come out normal or e.r. trips to be sent home cause I have no insurance and they wont perform the necessary tests, yes I had an e.r. doc cancel tests because of this. It does happen. To the gal who has children with the gall bladder removed in 97, wow, reading your post is like a mirror image of the things I have been tested for, been diagnosed with and the symptoms are almost exactly the same. Had an ovarian cyst removed, not the cyst itself mind you, oh no, the obgyn only removed the quote "legs" as he called them that was wrapping itself around my fallopian tube but yet again that was only found after that pain was decided it wasn't in my head after I practically begged him to do something for the pain. I had a doc put two locals (injections) into my right lower pelvic region, I would have rather had 6 children with no pain meds that to go through that ever again! Was diagnosed with anemia for over two years with no clear cause of that, went through 2 bone marrow tests, nothing substantial, had 5 blood transfusions, been tested for lupus, was told by one e.r. doc that he thought I had M.S. and the other attending agreed; a possibility; an uncle had it and died from it, my cousin, his daughter, has it, my grandma turns out is a carrier of it but doesn't have it. Been tested for hep. B and C, don't have those. Been diagnosed with gallstones, kidney stones, kidney infections, one doc thought I had leukemia; also diagnosed with gastroentiritis, gastritis, localized rib pain, rib cancer, IBS so many times, shingles, there have been so many, some I have forgotten. Do any of you suffer from eye problems or your eyes at moments seem like your eyes are crossing or double vision and it takes a few moments for things to go back into focus? Any skin rashes or patches of rashes anywhere that worsen when your pain and/or symptoms increase, or loss of concentration during these times? Was just wondering. The fatigue is overwhelming, I agree with the mom about it taking the fun out of your life and knowing where every bathroom is from point a to point b and the worst is in the morning when it rears it's ugly head or 5 minutes to an hour after you eat. We get no nutritional value from our food. No wonder we are exhausted!! Ok one other thing and then I promise I wont go on and on but have you noticed that when you get a "bug" or the flu or a cold it doesn't go away for like forever??? I have that problem. Troubles breathing? Anyway, just wanted to update on my previous post and let you know I'm still nowhere farther than I was when I first posted. Thanks for your answers, input, comments and suggestions. Take care to all of you!! Good luck with the lyme disease!! That sounds awful!! Good luck to all of you!!

Hi There I think your symptoms could be digestive in nature - I speak from a nutritional point of view. If your colon could digest properly, your symptoms could halve. Get a good digestive herbal blend product (Sportron is best) and take pro biotics regularly before eating.

With all of this it rather sounds like your body is not getting enough roughage? Ie here we have bran and every morning I take 1/2 cup of bran and 175 ml (about one cup) plain Low Fat propbiotic yoghurt. You should do this for breakfast even if you dont like it - I take it daily and it really does help. Also take a Sportron Digestron product. Cant get it let me know at my email address

Yours in good health

In 1989 a pain on right side of my abdomen just started. Doctors told me IBS.
Two years later I end up in a hospital. An ovarian benign tumor was removed together with an appendix.
After the op doctor asked me, if I work in a textile industry, because my appendix was filled up with angora and mohair fibres. I told him that I just wear that stuff.
Doctor explained me that enlarged appendix full of particles of fabrics (which during many year I swallowed with air), irritated a colon, and finally appendix was stuck around fallopian tube blocking ovary to do the work properly.
If I would've known that some fluffy particles of my wardrobe would've cause me so much health trouble I will never ever bought them and wear them.

After the op I didn't complain for any abdominal pain. No IBS. I was a healthy person.

A year ago pain on my right side came back. I went to GP and he refered me to gynecologist, who told me that everything is ok. A few days later the pain was gone. I thought that maybe it was caused by carrying quite heavy paving tiles from a boot of the car to the garden.

This week, on Monday old or new problem came back. I went to this same GP. He asked me to bring a sample of stool.
When I left his surgery I realized that he didn’t check me properly because he didn’t medically check my abdomen.
I am going to see a new doctor, and I'll ask him to organize for me a colonoscopy.

The pain this time is constant. It is on my right side, slightly higher then belly button and is vertical.

Do you still have an appendix?

Sorry for mistakes. English is not my language.

Did you ever by chance have a colonscopy done for the blood in your stool? I had one done earlier in the week because I, too, had blood in the stool. I didn't even know I did until I went to the E.R. for all the pain I'm having in my lower abdomen. I don't have insurance either, but they still did all these tests that I haven't gotten the bill yet for, because my blood count was extremely low. They still don't have an exact reason for it. Was in the hospital for 6 days with this pain that they can't figure out. Sent me home with nothing but tylenol. But anyways back tot he colonoscopy... when they did it, they found a polyp in my intestine that I'm hoping is the reason for my pain. They did a biopsy and I'll know the results on monday. I don't know much about them, but maybe it has something to do with how your body is digesting foods?

Well I hope everybody gets better. It sux being in so much pain all the time.

I have many of your same symptoms. (Almost all) I too have been to several doctors with several diagnosis but found while I was pregnant that prima care one (type of prenatal vitamin) took the diarrhea away. After 10 years of dealing with it ALL DAY LONG!!! Painful gas and cramps, ER visits, everything. Now I stay on the vitamins. I thin it could mean your body lacks the abitlity to absorb some nutrient causing the diarrhea. SO, the vitamins give you lots of it, or maybe just that is constipates some people.
Hope that helps.

hey guys i do have the same symptoms only that in eacha few months something changes anyway most of my docs told that it would be IBS or FMF (Familial Mediterranean fever (FMF)) it's inherited ..!! even so none of parents, family, relatives at all and i mean at all have it...
but they still telling me that am having it, any way i didn't try to take the medication for one reason that it causes infertility !! and am still a young guy 25 :-D
i don't know if i have the fmf or not but that's it.. even though i almost have the symptoms that you all describe.
_[removed]_

Thank God somebody else has the same problems as I have - I had my gallbladder out in 1987. I've had pain in the right side of my abdomen now for about 2-3 years, lump as described, and diarrhea all the time and terrible gas. I've had my appendix out long time ago, thank you, and this isn't lyme disease - it is obviously related to having no gallbladder. Roughage makes diarrhea worse, so whoever suggested that doesn't know what they are saying. I find drinking lemon juice helps a bit, so does eating nothing but soup for a while. I also have heart palpitations and I am borderline anemic as well. I have very low blood pressure, but that may be unrelated. I've had an ultrasound and a CT scan but nothing showed. Doctors say it is a "functional" thing, which in doctor language means "it's in your head". Most doctors don't know much about anything. For example, I found out that I should have been taking bile salts for years already - apparently after you have your gallbladder out you are supposed to take bile salts with every meal. I just read about this now - 20 years later, after many doctor visits. I'm going back to get a colonoscopy and I'm going to get a specialist. Good luck everyone.

the best thing to do is to swallow the new camera pill. over a period of 24hrs it takes pictures and is the best way to see what is happening from the inside out. All of you here sounds like chrohns disease and it is hard to diagnosis. but the new pill camera saves lives as it SEES all.

How do you know if you have blood in your stool?