Can you tell me some more facts concerning horseshoe kidney. I have been diagnosed with it but there were no symptoms present. Actually, the only reason they saw it is because of the kidney stones I developed. So, what are my options now? Or should I say, do I have any options?

I have heard that this condition is usually asymptomatic and that only when something like kidney stones happen, that can be discovered. And I assume that you will have to monitor your kidney carefully from now on. There should not be any problems, but I should warn you there are some increased risks for kidney infections.

Hi eben779,

Your condition, horseshoe kidney, is common developmental anomaly and this happens to 1 in 500 people in USA.

Basically a horseshoe kidney forms in case where are developed kidneys connected to each other at the lower part. This condition usually doesn’t affect normal functions of the kidneys and this condition is in the most of the cases asymptomatic. But since you are having problems with kidney stones you should be aware that horseshoe kidney is probably responsible for those.

There is no treatment for this condition but instead doctors are focusing on the current problem and in your case this is kidney stones. Drink a lot of fluids and consult with your doctor about the best treatment option.