I had my xyphoid removed 9-12-12. There was quite a bit of pain at first. When the doctor opened me up to remove my xyphoid he also found a hernia and repaired that. My pain comes and goes but not as violent as before I had it removed. I fought this pain for years. I have a scar below my sternam. I could care less. I would have the surgery again. I can deal with some pain. My doctor wrote me off and said pain pills. I have a doctor appointment 10-26-12. Feel like a new man.

dave wrote:

bozzmasta wrote:

I have much the same problem, accompanied by nausea, excess mucous, and back and chest pain to name a few, for over 15 years now. Had every test done u can imagine, been on every diet, now vegan. NOTHING helps. Pain meds wear off & are hard to function on. Family & "friends" have labeled me a hypochondriac. Anyone else ever wanted to die as a solution ? ? Help

If you deside to have your xyphoid removed make sure you get a doctor the has performed this surgery several times. My pain doctor had several surgeons that would not perform hat surgery. My doctor was out of Indianapolis IN and he was great. He called me to find out how I was feeling after the surgery. Most doctors have their nurses call for them. I hope this helps you with your decision on surgery.

I just can't think of any other explanation. I've been in several violent car accidents, never a stitch or scratch or broken anything. Was hit physically in my sternum several times in one sitting as a young teen by a large adult football player, who feels guilty to this day. I've taken experimental meds in an attempt to alleviate the pain. It is not always present. But when it is, I hurt everywhere above the waist. The chest pain feels as if my ribcage is splitting from the inside out. Incredible pain in shoulderblade muscles. And violent vomiting, I feel is from the irritation of muscles/ organs being pressed against the xiphoid, which in turn causes the multitude of problems that follow. I know, sounds crazy. & I'm catching up with crazy REAL quick from the constant barrage of pills and lack of positive results. Again, no specific time, or apparent reason for what causes this.

This started in 1994. I was 17. It was only once a year, now it seems once a month. I'm running out of patience with myself, & don't know wtf to do anymore.

When I went to my thurasic sergon about removing my xyphoid he ask me if I every was in car reck and hit my sternum and I told him no. He ask me if I was ever hit in the stenum and I did not think I was. MY xyphoid was bent into my stomach but I also had a herina. If you want go to a pain management and have steroid shots under you sternum toward the xyphoid. I Did and got releif for days. I had three rounds of shots you might see what they do for you??? I had a CT scan with contrast to find out my xyphoid was bent.

I have had this same pain also. It first started when I was pregnant with my first child. It has been back at least every couple weeks, lasting about a week, then is generally gone for a couple weeks. This pattern has continued for the last year. I have upper stomach pain, pain around the xyphoid, pain straight back to my back/spine area, also some breast pain. Going to the doctor, as many know, gives no results. Will have to try again and mention your posts. Thank you!!!

Hello JanR,
If you see my reply; Pleas contact me!
I am a Xiphodynia patient from The Netherlands and suffer since end 2011 severe pain.
At first doctors suspected heart problems. ulcers, pancreatitus because of the location and intensity of the pain.
Those got ruled out during tests and they send me home with more or less the message I should not worry.
That did not make the pain any less and I could and still can hardly manage to perform the basic acts to keep on my feet, survive.
March 2012 the diagnosis Xiphodynia (xifodynie) was made but the surgeon had bad experiences with the so called Xiphoidectomy in the past(a far past I found out later).
I had the high dose NSAID's and corticosteriods-ketoprofen injections, that did not relieve the pain at all.
Over a week ago a third surgeon directed me back to the pain-treatment centre; the surgery could cause irriverseble damage and he wanted to play it "safe". My being willing to take all the riscs for the chance of getting rid of these horrible pains did not change his mind.
Hope you read this post and there will be a way to contact the doctor that helped you, I am really desperate.
Here in Holland it seems impossible to find a doctor that really knows about Xiphoidynia and experience with it.
Hopefully awaiting a response,
With friendly regards,
Richard (from The Netherlands)

I have been suffering for the past 4 years with Xiphoid pain. Last week, I finally asked my Internal Medicine Dr. about it because it recently had gotten MORE painful and a lot bigger. She had never seen anything like it. (it is huge, by the way) She had MRI done and is showed "no mass". Which I guess basically meant "no cancer". She then referred me to Orthopedic Dr. He was very interested as he had not seen one so large, but, as he told me, he was not the person I needed to see. He referred me to the Heart and Vascular Institute where I saw a heart doctor. He also was interested and took all my history, but told me that he was not the person I needed to see, BUT...I was in the right place! Finally! He went out of the room for a few minutes and came back in with Cardiovascular Surgeon who examined me. He said it will have to be removed. He advised that it is a simple surgery and may only be a one night stay in hospital. I will be scheduling surgery soon!!

So, Richard, go see a Cardiovascular Surgeon.
Best of luck to you

Guest, please let us know how it works out.

I have had a similar problem ever since having heart bypass surgery in 1996. The spot where the xiphoid resides was super tender after the surgery. The pain would send me through the roof if I happened to brush it against something. Several times I had unrelenting nausea for a few hours which no medicine would relieve. One day I happened to hit it on the bottom of the steering wheel while moving around in the car. About 4 hours later the nausea started. I was able to determine that the nausea was caused by hitting it and always exactly 4 hours later.

After a few months I got an appointment with the heart doctor who operated on me and he said it was a hernia which is a common side effect after bypass surgery and they could correct that with another surgery for $20,000. I was sure it wasn't a hernia from the way it felt. Not squishy but more like bone.

A few years later I was at the VA for my annual physical and I mentioned it to my RNP. She scheduled some x-rays and they found it. They called it a deflected sternum and showed me the x-ray. From a side view it looked like a child's penis sticking straight out at the bottom of my sternum.

I've been on this forum for about 5 years and I'm really glad I found this thread today. I want to hear more.

keep trying things. Weed? It has helped 2 of my friends in non-related to this issue at least.
I too am labeled hypochondriac - having lifted too much weight 2 years ago i have issue with xiphoid Junction and underlying stomach issues.
I take myself to all kinds of doctors for this and neuropathy, psych.,pains, etc. I find them limiting in results, but they can do the heavy hitters for surgery.
I have chest pain and congestion and I'm going to see a GI with n hours. I am frustrated with not getting cures or at least successful treatments on my many unique issues.
I've become more spiritual, looking within rather than without to find peace and getting some relief. Gym, Yoga, meditation and keep on moving are great friends too for me when I do it.
None of my friends have my issues, ever, and healthy people just cannot relate to your or our realities with health issues. I hold back my feelings and symptoms with most friends, but my girlfriend is a co-confidant and supports me greatly. So, perhaps some new friends would give you some solace. It is much better to suffer with others rather than alone. And having loads of friends around you that do not understand or cannot relate is worse than being alone.

Best wishes,
Gary

If anyone can advise please respond.

I've recently recovered from a terrible cough which I think may have cause some damage to my Xiphoid Process and now Im feeling level 7 pains coming from my XP. When I breath normally (10 breaths a minute) I can feel my XP popping in and out, the pain is so bad Im now taking smaller shorter breaths to ease the pain.

Now Im getting terrible aches, spasms and cramps on my back, sides of the chest and now Im noticing my muscles twitching constantly on my arms and calf muscles (But may not be related) which I assume is caused perhaps from my shallow breathing and a lack of oxygen. Ive been to see doctors and specialist who all have felt my Xiphoid Process popping but after reviewing the x-ray and CAT scans they all say Im fine, I know my own body and I’m not fine, they must think Im making things up in my head and they claim the popping is simply my muscle’s. Its not, its clear where its coming from and you can see it, feel it but they still have no explanation as nothing can be seen on the scans or x-ray.

Ive now returned to work and still have another 10 days before I can return home, Oh I should have mentioned I work in the oil and gas industry offshore Egypt and I started feeling the pain whilst offshore, I was sent to the beach for a checkup but was told I was fine, when I return to the UK I will be seeing my GP and will be showing this Forum as he too may come to the same conclusion as the doctors in Egypt. I've recently recovered from a terrible cough which I think may have cause some damage to my XP. Any advise please share. 

I don't have the answer you are looking for but I can tell you it's normal for it to pop when you are young. When I was a kid I used to have fun flexing my abdominal muscles to make it pop. (You do strange things when you're bored). I didn't know what it was or even that it was a tab like thing, I just had fun making the popping sound. I believe as you age that little tab hardens so you can't do that anymore. I remember asking my doctor about that little bony thing that seemed to growing down from the middle of my rib cage when I was about 35. He explained all that to me. So if you broke that loose I expect it might be painful. I know mine was very painful after having bypass surgery and it took years for it to become at all tolerable to be touched. Today, 18 years after the surgery, I still cannot lie on my stomach in bed or on top of the engine to work on my car.

So glad your operation was a success. It gives me hope!! I had bypass surgery a year ago and it left me with major xiphoid problems that continues to get worst. I have a Thoracic heart Dr. and a Thoracic lung Dr. who say they can't help me. Thanks for sharing!!

Sorry for this being long....

3 years ago  started a new job that involved repetitive bending to the side while standing, and lifting an object and flipping it while standing straight Did this probably 600-1000 times in a 12 hr period. Job caused me some stress while performing it and I started feeling like a heavy chest alot, sometimes worse then others. Doctor says stress, even though I don't feel it was anymore stress then everyday living. It kept getting worse some days I actually wondered if I was going to have a heart attack. Alot of mornings i'd wake up and it's there, some not until I get to work doing the physical part, some days (odd odd one) it wouldn't hardly be there at all. Went to doctor again, says it's stress, anxiety..I again don't agree but went on my way. After 3 years and progressivly worse I went back and demanded some tests. All blood work fine, ultrasound on liver and kidneys, and gall bladder I assume was good as my doctor hasn't called me back in (tested over 2 weeks ago). Stress test coming up in 2 weeks. Been noticing over the past 2 months my ability to breathe seems somewhat more difficult and I feel like i'm unable to inhale and exhale comftorably. I want to add that pushing on my Xiphoid area seems to aleviate the pain  or when laying in bed putting my arms up behind my head helps and allows me to breathe more comftorably.

Like everyone I look to the interent, Xiphoid seems to be the closest thing to my symptoms yet.  So I have pain in the lower chest, pain to the point it makes me feel nausea, feeling of not being able to breathe good enough. When I am experiencing the pain, I can push on the Xiphoid area and on the right side it's tender, left feels fine. Does this sound like a Xiphoind issue?    thanks

What was the outcome? Did your stress test result in the broblem, or like me was fine? I have a very similar story to yours. CT, stress test,cardioechogram, endoscopy...still have pain over a year later. Comes and goes but never pain free